Standing behind products

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
This past weekend I was planning to clean up and re-paint the side rails I put on my wife's 2013 jeep back when it was new. They had several spot that were bubbling and rusted and I thought I might be able to clean them up. Turns out they've been rusting out from the inside out and the ends were completely rusted through on each side. The jeeps frame has absolutely no rust on it.

2017-09-10 16.16.39.jpg 2017-09-10 16.16.47.jpg 2017-09-10 17.37.58.jpg 2017-09-10 17.38.26.jpg

I was going to shop options to replace them, then decided to check to see just how long the original warranty was. Turns out it was 5 years, so we have a year left. I contacted Smittybilt, the manufacturer, and they asked for contact info, original receipt, and pics describing the issue. Sent all of that and got a reply late last night that they are shipping out new parts to replace them. :thumb:

Refreshing to hear about somebody backing up their warranty. It's also interesting that you still had the original receipt after all these years. Was it paper or electronic? I keep all the receipts for big stuff for years and most of the receipts for smaller, big box store items for at least a couple of months, just in case.

Refreshing to hear about somebody backing up their warranty. It's also interesting that you still had the original receipt after all these years. Was it paper or electronic? I keep all the receipts for big stuff for years and most of the receipts for smaller, big box store items for at least a couple of months, just in case.

I'm a borderline hoarder... I tend to keep receipts and sales slips forever.... I need to go through the bottom drawer of my file cabinet where I keep the hand books, owners manuals and such for all the appliances and such we buy... I'm sure I have the owner's manuals for items we left in Houston 12 years ago.

The title of this thread reminded me of a joke by the Russian comedian Yakov Smirnoff. The story goes that he was watching TV after he arrived here in the states which was a real pleasure because in Russia at that time they only had two channels. On channel 1 all you could see was Communist propaganda 24 hours a day. If you turned to channel 2 there was a KGB agent who told you to turn back to channel 1.

Anyway, Yakov was watching TV and a commercial for a local furniture store came on. At the end of the commercial the owner of the store said, "We stand behind all of our furniture."

Yakov said, "One of the reasons I left Russia is that a KGB agent was always standing behind your furniture."