AAA - No, not that one!

Bill Arnold

Staff member
In May, 2016, my cardiologist had me get an abdominal ultrasound to check for a possible aneurysm. They found one but it only needed monitoring. June of this year, they repeated the test and it appeared to be larger, so they had me go for a coronary CTA (Computed Tomography Angiogram) in August. It showed the aneurysm was about 5.3cm. So, off see a surgeon last week to see what happens next.

I'll be getting a AAA stent tomorrow (9/13), if the schedule holds. I'm waiting for a call from the hospital to tell me when to arrive. If all goes well, I'll get to go home the day after surgery but will be taking it easy for a while.

Thoughts, prayers are appreciated.

Bill, I have one below my heart that is smaller than 5cm. Five cm seems to be the magical number. Haven't checked in with my heart doctor in the last three years. May do that this winter. Tell your surgeon to have the best day possible!!! Good luck, prayers will be said for you and the team.

AAA Stent Update:

I'm home barely 24 hours after surgery was completely yesterday!!! Yay!!

Doctor had said the procedure is usually under 2 hours but occasionally takes 3-4 hours, The nurse told me mine took an hour and five minutes - no issues. Closure was done with glue and all looks fine. Biggest surprise is there has been no pain at all!!!

Thanks to all of you for your support!!!

05:30?? You won't feel a thing!

Whaddaya mean? 0530 is a beautiful time of day! :eek:

Bill, I have one below my heart that is smaller than 5cm. Five cm seems to be the magical number. Haven't checked in with my heart doctor in the last three years. May do that this winter. Tell your surgeon to have the best day possible!!! Good luck, prayers will be said for you and the team.

Jon, my cardiologist and the surgeon told me they monitor anything over 4cm annually via ultrasound. If it gets over 5cm, they keep a closer watch on it and do the CTA on it. Anything approaching 6cm should get immediate attention. Since mine had grown from 4.4cm in May, 2016 to between 5.0 and 5.3cm this year, they suggested going ahead and fix it before it enlarges further. My online research confirmed what they were saying.

Yep, the surgeon had a good day! He said the procedure averages about 2 hours but can extend to 3-4 hours depending on the individual. Mine took one hour and five minutes. The surgeon told my wife it was because I have good anatomy! Alrighty then!!!