Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Annoying Unsolicited Callers is FUN

Annoying Unsolicited Callers is FUN

LOL...I get so tired of these endless calls on my phone, today I took some action. Usually I just hang up or let the message machine answer, but today I thought lets talk to one of these idiots. Of course it was some blocked caller id number and some guy telling me he was doing a survey and if I had a few minutes...lol...here is what followed...sure I'm retired I got all the time in the world, but before we start, how much are you paying me....well sir this is a voluntary survey...really, well I assume your going to make some money off this survey selling it to somebody, or if it's internal to your company you plan to make more money, because of better service, so if my answers to your question provide that information, then I should get paid...so I ask you again how much do I get paid to answer these question...

I am guessing I get nothing, because he hung up on me...jeez...was it some thing I said...lmao...think I'll do this all the time now, much more fun then just hanging up or letting the machine get it, and if I can waste their time, maybe it makes up for the time I have to waste...my new hobby now

I don't answer to a number I don't recognize.

Every so often, and trust me it is not often at all, I will answer a call. Usually the call lasts 2 to 5 seconds - CLICK. If the caller is REALLY lucky, the call might last 10-15 seconds - CLICK.

I used to play the games, but I really do not enjoy it.

I kinda feel bad for the caller. They are usually people in a hard time and not experienced at anything, so they get stuck in the call center trying to make a commission on the calls. They generally don't even make minimum wage and they earn on commission. It's a HORRIBLE job, and they are really in a bad way. Can you imagine trying to make a commission and then get a hookup with someone who just wants to have fun and really make then feel bad.

I think my 5 second CLICK, doesn't waste their time, and doesn't make anybody feel bad.

I don't think the phone person is bad - not at all. It's the company they work for, and they have absolutely NO control with that company at all.

My recommendation is that you do not hassle those poor callers. It's not their fault.

Just politely say, Sorry I am not interested, thank you, goodbye - CLICK.

That does not bring tears to anyone's eyes. My daughter, when she was 16, fell into that trap. I had to pick her up after 4 hours on her first day. I will never forget that day, neither will she. Her friend was a bit stronger in her personality and stayed longer. I think she lasted 2 weeks, but it was to much for her too. She did make some commission, but the earnings were meager.

So to how much money they make - NOTHING, in comparison with what they have to put up with.

They are not idiots, they are people - people that are in dire straits for the most part, people trying to get by in a VERY difficult world.

Mark - I truly hope you do not make that a hobby. It's not very honorable.

I am really sorry if this is offensive to you, but I really feel bad for the callers that connect with you - they cannot defend themselves and will likely get in trouble if they hang up on you.

Mark, first of all I agree totally with Leo. Second I don't care if that is offensive to you. Also I am amazed at some of the language you have used on this family based forum. And, that a moderator has not said anything. I used what were termed "hieroglyphics" once and got a private message from a moderator to change the post or I would probably be asked to leave the forum. I guess you have some kind of immunity. No one else seems to that I have noticed. That's all I have to say about this subject. I don't mind saying I'm disgusted.
    Create your own visual style... let it be unique for yourself and yet identifiable for others. Orson Welles

Anytime spent learning something, no matter how trivial it seems, is not a waste of time.

I have reported the post Dave. He has no immunity, the mods are now aware and we shall wait.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Inappropriate wording in the original title of this thread has been noted and changed. Thanks for the help in notifying your moderator team.

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Voisine View Post
    I don't answer to a number I don't recognize.

Every so often, and trust me it is not often at all, I will answer a call. Usually the call lasts 2 to 5 seconds - CLICK. If the caller is REALLY lucky, the call might last 10-15 seconds - CLICK.

I used to play the games, but I really do not enjoy it.

I kinda feel bad for the caller. They are usually people in a hard time and not experienced at anything, so they get stuck in the call center trying to make a commission on the calls. They generally don't even make minimum wage and they earn on commission. It's a HORRIBLE job, and they are really in a bad way. Can you imagine trying to make a commission and then get a hookup with someone who just wants to have fun and really make then feel bad.

I think my 5 second CLICK, doesn't waste their time, and doesn't make anybody feel bad.

I don't think the phone person is bad - not at all. It's the company they work for, and they have absolutely NO control with that company at all.

My recommendation is that you do not hassle those poor callers. It's not their fault.

Just politely say, Sorry I am not interested, thank you, goodbye - CLICK.

That does not bring tears to anyone's eyes. My daughter, when she was 16, fell into that trap. I had to pick her up after 4 hours on her first day. I will never forget that day, neither will she. Her friend was a bit stronger in her personality and stayed longer. I think she lasted 2 weeks, but it was to much for her too. She did make some commission, but the earnings were meager.

So to how much money they make - NOTHING, in comparison with what they have to put up with.

They are not idiots, they are people - people that are in dire straits for the most part, people trying to get by in a VERY difficult world.

Mark - I truly hope you do not make that a hobby. It's not very honorable.

I am really sorry if this is offensive to you, but I really feel bad for the callers that connect with you - they cannot defend themselves and will likely get in trouble if they hang up on you.
    Never really thought of these callers in this light! I will from now on, and will just respond with "Not interested" Click!
    Thanks for the enlightenment!
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

More often than not, the initial caller is a robot and no one is actually on the other end, until they reach the end of their spiel and you "push any key", so i don't think anyone is getting their feelings hurt. I answer the phone and say "hello" and if no one talks in the next 2-3 seconds I hang up.

I get one every so often that says I'm getting the call because I stayed at one of their resorts.....I haven't stayed at a resort in over 40 years... long before robo calls were invented. I tried to talk to her (we get a different girl's name each call, but same voice) once and she just kept on with her spiel... so I hung up.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

I ditched my land line over a year ago and my cell phone is smart enough to let me know if I know the person calling or if it is a likely scam. An unrecognized number does not get answered, ever. If the call is important they will leave a voice mail. If no voice mail then I go back into my recent calls and block future calls from that number. Life's too short, especialy when you get this old, to allow yourself to get aggravated over a phone call.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I agree with Leo - with the exception that when the call is an international one and I know that they are trying to push a criminal scam - "Microsoft Technical Services" type of call I will sometimes waste their time if I have the time myself. I do it because I know they are not going to pull their fraud on me and while they are talking to me they are not defrauding somebody more vulnerable.

At home we have a good call screening phone and nusiance calls have basically disappeared.

I actually have a Google voice number (free) that I use for our home phone number. You can forward the GV number to any number of actual phone numbers, only close friends and family get my real cell phone number or home phone number. I have a couple of contacts in my google contacts for Unknown or Unknown Telemarketers. I typically don't answer any calls that I dont' recognize the numbers for and let them leave a voice mail, after a number has called a couple of times without leaving a voice mail, the number gets put on one of those contacts and are automatically sent to voice mail from that point on. Anything I sign up for I put down the GV number instead of one of our real numbers.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault