CA finish

Chuck, you are correct there are easier ways and finishes BUT they won't last like a CA finish. Some of my customers do not like the CA finish because they are buying a wooden pen and want it to feel like wood and patina like wood. So there are many finishes for the many personal likes and dislikes.

I use a CA finish on laser cut pens because you need the CA to flood the joints to hold them together and if you do any sanding at all, the dark dust gets in the pores of the light woods. I use a CA finish if I have a very pretty piece of wood that is punky and I want to stabilize it. I've done that recently with some really nicely patterned mesquite that I wanted to save but the grain was brittle. I saved it and it looks great. Those are about the only times I use it. I'm one of those guys who doesn't like the look and feel of a CA finish. I normally use PensPlus friction finish. I know it's not going to hold a newly finished sheen, but I don't want it to. I want to be able to feel the grain of the wood and see the patina change after I've used it a bit. But that's just me.

I have used CA and I have also used spray on Poly. I have used Shellawax, I have used Johnsons floor paste wax......yes there are many different options. CA is quick, easy and dries very fast and gives a nice shine. Other options will give your pen a shine but it does not last as long as a CA finish. Nothing wrong with other options at all...if fact I suggest you do indeed try others and compare your results. It's a fun hobby...play with it and explore the options.