Friday-22Sep17-Autumn Equinox

Dave Hoskins

Well, we now are experiencing the fall equinox. I guess I'm experiencing it. At least it ain't gonna get near or at 100 today. Only supposed to get around 92. Break out the sweaters! Today is going to be mainly doing a little shopping for the main staples: bullets, bacon, and beans. And, toilet paper. After that will be doing whatever else needs doing to be ready for a last minute fall festival I get invited to. Have no idea how well it will do but you never know. After that who knows! Only The Shadow knows. :D

Shop time and getting things ready for fall. I have some new gutter leaf guards to install, some yard work I've been putting off, and time to reattach the grass bags to the rider so I can start picking up leaves - 8 or 10 leaf fires are in my near future.

We just had an interesting discussion about how to make a slice of a sphere on the Vectric forum.

Think a slice of an orange, but at 10 degrees. There would be 36 slices in the orange.

I came up with a strategy to make it, but there are some interesting points to consider in the geometry.

I don’t really have the time to play with this right now, but I am intrigued and challenged to see if my concept will work, so, I am going to try it this weekend.

The main Idea is to make a sphere of slices, with several different woods.

I am sure there are many ways to skin the cat, but this challenge is to do it on a CNC machine.

Great start to the weekend here with blue skies a light breeze and a crisp 7C early this morning. Lots of outdoor jobs, putting in some more firewood, pasture mowing and adding to the brush pile for a big burn later this fall when everything around it is damp.
Tomorrow we're going in to Halifax for the once every five years open house at the Bedford Institute of Oceanography (BIO) They've been putting out teaser reports all week in the local media about all the very cool stuff they'll be showing off. BIO is one of the premier scientific research facilities in this country and world-renowned, so it's a big deal when they invite the public in for a visit. A nice lunch somewhere is also on the agenda, of course.

In the shop, a friend brought me some gifts/new toys the other day and I bought some accessories yesterday, so there has to be some play time :)

Enjoy the weekend everyone:wave:

New home inspection today.

Worky-werk this weekend.

Starting to pack.

And a zippy 56ºF this morning. That ain't fall. That is winter. But it is temporary. Th end of next week's forecast has us flirting in the 90's again. Crazy weather.

Last edited:
Today is a half day for me, dinner with friends tonight, may get to play some real pinball machines too. Planning to work on some garage and shop organization this weekend to make room for moving furniture for an upcoming home renovation.

Lovely fall weather forecast... and the start of the fall art shows. This evening we listen to live music on the Yorktown waterfront, hopefully with a wonderful sunset as a backdrop. Saturday some shopping and maybe a nice sous-vide steak and garden fresh veggies. Sunday starts a two day home defense class to learn what you can legally do to protect yourself if you are not The Shadow and the evil that lurks in the hearts of men comes to your neighborhood.

Playing a show tonight at one of our favorite neighborhood pubs. We've been on hiatus for a couple of months (almost three, actually), so I hope I can remember roughly 40 songs. (I'm sure I can remember 40 songs roughly, though.) :guitar:

Saturday is the monthly range day for my shooting club. I'm planning to show up late (since I won't be home and unloaded from the Friday night gig until about 2:30 AM) so I may not participate in any shooting drills, but I'll help out as a coach and Safety Officer. I also want to say my goodbyes to one of the instructors who's moving out of state. (He's a trainer for Homeland Security, and he's very generously helped us out for the past couple of years.) Ted, I'm glad to see you're taking proactive steps for home defense training. :thumb:

Sunday I will likely be doing whatever SWMBO decides I'm doing, lol.

Oh, and we're starting to see the first signs of fall around here, too.

Pumpkin%20Spice%20Oil%20Change%20800.jpg

I'm slowly getting back to some "normal" type stuff since my surgery.

This morning (Friday), I pulled apart two Boston butts that Bobbie and I put in the smoker yesterday. Lotsa pulled pork to eat this weekend and put a bunch in the freezer for future meals.

Also this morning I tried doing a little in my shop. I made one complete sanding pass with 60 grit on my walnut slab - smoothed out some of the router bit roughness.

Saturday, I'm going to try another pass on my slab. Still having to take it easy most of the time but have to do a few light duty type things.

Sunday should be our usual routine of me preparing brunch, then chill out until race time.

Getting excited. Today got old table saw out of shop and cleaned up area. Dust collector don't get it all by a long way.
Tomorrow conning son into helping move in new Grizzly t\s. That sound keep me buy for a week or so checking settings and playing.
Wonder if I will need to make new jigs? Only time will tell.
Everyone have a safe and healthy weekend
David

Well, Got a new bed delivered today, rug doctored the carpet, got a community garage sale on saturday, and one of my favorite aunts is coming to visit on Sunday and monday.

So, pretty much busy moving and cleaning and cooking for the foreseeable future! Been a busy month but seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Will be fun to hang out with my aunt and uncle for a day or so though.