Weekend projects/bench shots thread

Jeff Horton

It's that time again. Post those bench shots!

My focus has been on restoring the two machines and that is drawn to quick halt as I am working on a RPC to power them. Will work on the old motor for the jointer today.

Going to make some shavings too. BIL lives in a camper during the week and needs a small folding table it. Going to see if I can't make up something for him today. Man I miss the smell of wood. Much better than rusty cast iron!

BENCHSHOT
Mostly covered in restoration related stuff and motor parts from the one I am working on.

benchshot.jpg

Here are a couple of photos of the machines. I will piddle with them some this weekend but I am really at a stopping point till I have some power on them

benchshot1.jpg benchshot2.jpg

Jeff

I hope to finish milling the lumber for my sons bed. Could not do it last weekend due blades wear being sharpend. On my bench is a nightstand that I just putt the last coat of poly on, so it will be out of here monday or so.:) I need to try and get my jointer shimed up. The infeed bed is sagging and needs a shim or two. It dips near the blade. This should take care of all my free time.

I have been working on my shoulder plane which can be seen on the Handtool Sub-Forum. This will be my last weekend to be in the shop for awhile as I got a huge project to do on my new "bench".

I am laughing as I say that because my new bench is a 28 by 40 foot concrete slab. We are building an addition onto our house so starting next weekend I am going to be very busy. Not a lot of woodworking per se, but a lot of carpentry. Let the fun begin I guess.

THAT will be a great band saw, Stuart!

I am making another small stool, for use by our 5-year old, No. 3 granddaughter, while playing the piano:

LittlestoolforMichelle.jpg

Attachments

• LittlestoolforMichelle.jpg
    LittlestoolforMichelle.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
It started out to be a quiet weekend, then things exploded. Two batches of lasered name tags for two different customers; a batch of business cards; 700 laser-cut letters for a client; a plaque for a friend; and a meeting with a potential new customer for 25 award plaques for their soccer league. Whew!!! Where did Saturday go? Today will be spent converting some scroll-saw patterns into vector images for cutting on the laser. I'm going dizzy (and blind) looking at a computer screen.

Nancy

Not much on the bench :thumb:

As I am loading the last of those 71 oak doors in the pickup, and leaving to install them. This job will be done today, with the exception of a couple of extra things they threw in I need to do later.

HIP HIP HOORAY

As I am loading the last of those 71 oak doors in the pickup, and leaving to install them. This job will be done today, with the exception of a couple of extra things they threw in I need to do later.

thata boy steve "getur dun" then you can get back to playun with your planes again.. quess i missed the pic of your truck full of doors:huh: :dunno:

well no pics of bench work but should be able to get some pics this week of the progress of the DC pipe gettin put together ,hope toget it buried this week..keepun my finners crossed i am on break the rest of this afternoon...as earlier posted:thumb: :D :D

No shots. Camera is charging. I'm going to the Renaissance Faire as the only other thing to do is watch some BLO and some stickered boards dry.

I'm getting geared up for my shop build, and thought I might want to have my storage unit organized before I had to go looking for stuff. I had a bed full of stuff to put in there as well, so I had to find another way to haul the racks Grizzz and I built last week down the road. SO...
P5200001.jpg

There you go, two racks strapped to the roof of my cap... 7 miles later I wound up at the storage unit. Here's what I was facing. I've spent a year climbing around in there muttering to myself about how I really should organize things better.
P5200003.jpg

two hours later I wound up with this:
P5200012.jpg

It started raining near the end, so I could still tighten things up a bit more, but I had to move quickly to get my wood back under roof.

Alright, Ned! What in the world DID you do with the drill press? It looks like it is gone... Or is it on one of the racks???

It must be soooo exciting to be getting ready for the shop build - I still remember how great it was when ours was being built! Can hardly wait to see how yours goes together, Ned. I am pushing hard for you!!

P.S.: Did you notice? NO ONE has made any nasty comments about my bald spot...yet :D :thumb: :rofl: .

... Today will be spent converting some scroll-saw patterns into vector images for cutting on the laser...
Congratulations, Nancy! Way to go!!!!!!

HOW do you convert a scanned image to a vector image? Do you use some kind of trace function? In which photo editing software? Just curious :thumb: .

Edit to add: I use PhotoImpact XL. I am able to trace an image, but I am stuck when I try to do anything with it. HOW do I separate the traced image from the original?.....

Last edited:

Sooo, Steve,

How long DID it take you to make those 71 doors? I wonder if you would mind posting some photos of your setup to make these. I have a mental image of several shapers all set up to make them, or the Woodtek multi-spindle machine, or several routers, or a large router table with at least three routers in it ;) .

I am wondering, as I will be making several doors as part of a large entertainment center for a client.

Alright, Ned! What in the world DID you do with the drill press? It looks like it is gone... Or is it on one of the racks???

It must be soooo exciting to be getting ready for the shop build - I still remember how great it was when ours was being built! Can hardly wait to see how yours goes together, Ned. I am pushing hard for you!!

P.S.: Did you notice? NO ONE has made any nasty comments about my bald spot...yet :D :thumb: :rofl: .

Al,
I put all of the tools in the back right corner, the drill press and that rolling stand are still there, just tucked back in the corner, you can just see the head of it sticking up above the mass of black snakes (DC Hose). Oh believe me I'm more than ready to start building, the LOML wants to renovate the house, and I need my shop to get that done cheaper than calling in other folks to do it.
P5200008.jpg
there you go Al, the 'tool corner'

Al, bald is beautiful or so my Dad tells me. One of his favorite t-shirts has that famous line about 'The Lord only made a few perfect heads, on the rest he put hair'. ;)

Last edited:
'The Lord only made a few perfect heads, on the rest he put hair'. ;)

Hubby has a hat with that quote on it - courtesy of his smart-a$$ son who also gave him a bottle of Turtle Wax with it!!:rofl: :rofl:

Al, David is doing most of the work on the conversions, and it's a pain. All I know is that the plans have to be scanned, then in Corel Paint or Trace (I forget which one), there is a lot of removing extraneous lines and getting down to just one line for vectoring. It has something to do with nodes and I don't understand it--I just sit and watch and marvel that he can do it. I'll try to get him on here to tell you how it's done. Maybe a PM so we don't bore the rest of the folks who don't care anything about lasering!!:huh: :huh: :dunno:

Nancy

Sooo, Steve,

How long DID it take you to make those 71 doors? I wonder if you would mind posting some photos of your setup to make these. I have a mental image of several shapers all set up to make them, or the Woodtek multi-spindle machine, or several routers, or a large router table with at least three routers in it ;) .

I am wondering, as I will be making several doors as part of a large entertainment center for a client.

Al. Doors were an off and on project. Not sure about the time, timewise.
When Larry was here, he cut the rails/stiles to length, then ran them through the router for me.:thumb:
Parts sat around for a week or so before I got around to gluing up the door panel blanks.
Machinery. I have a homemade dual router table set up for rail and stiles only. Then a 3hp shaper for the door raising.

Thanks, Nancy. I got stuck after tracing a photo, and was unable to figure out what came next. You are right, PM will be fine, as it is totally OT for this thread, which I hihacked-with apologies to the original poster. I appreciate your reply.

Al

Hubby has a hat with that quote on it - courtesy of his smart-a$$ son who also gave him a bottle of Turtle Wax with it!!:rofl: :rofl:

Al, David is doing most of the work on the conversions, and it's a pain. All I know is that the plans have to be scanned, then in Corel Paint or Trace (I forget which one), there is a lot of removing extraneous lines and getting down to just one line for vectoring. It has something to do with nodes and I don't understand it--I just sit and watch and marvel that he can do it. I'll try to get him on here to tell you how it's done. Maybe a PM so we don't bore the rest of the folks who don't care anything about lasering!!:huh: :huh: :dunno:

Nancy

Last edited:
Great, Steve. Thanks! THAT is a lot of work for one job. I figured that you would have some machinery dedicated to doors.

Al. Doors were an off and on project. Not sure about the time, timewise.
When Larry was here, he cut the rails/stiles to length, then ran them through the router for me.:thumb:
Parts sat around for a week or so before I got around to gluing up the door panel blanks.
Machinery. I have a homemade dual router table set up for rail and stiles only. Then a 3hp shaper for the door raising.