Logs to boards

Paul Hartzell

I have several logs about 4 ft. long. The wood is Russian Olive. The thickness varies from 5-10 inches. I contacted a local saw mill and they said they are too short to run through their mill. I would like to turn these into boards of 3/4 thickness....width obviously would vary. I've thought about using a power plainer to make a flat side, then resawing through a bandsaw....if I could find one that can cut up to 10 inches thick. I don't really want to have a bandsaw beyond this task. Once the logs are sliced I would run them through a planer, which I don't have but wouldn't mind having. I'm not trying to set up a woodworking shop, but I would like to build something with Russian Olive, even if it's small. So my question is....how would you handle this task? If there was someone in the Minneapolis (or even Minnesota somewhere) I would pay to have someone do it. Apart from that, I'd invest in the minimum amount of tools.

This should be a relatively easy task for someone with a moderately large bandsaw. There are a number of home made jig plans available that hold small logs. You could also use a chain saw with an Alaskan mill type attachment. You would lose more because of the chainsaw kerf, but it would get you some boards. You know you need a chain saw.:)

Where are you located? I know someone with a sawmill north of Howard Lake who might be able to do it. He resawed some 8' slabs for a friend of mine.