quilt rack repair

Dan Noren

Staff member
didn't think that i'd wind up doing this, but, needs to be done. last week we had a bit of a craft showing at work, to display the craftiness of people who work there. i brought in one of the quilt racks, and one of the new picture frames. the day i brought them in, i was going to show my co-worker, but they weren't in the person running the show's cube. the next day, i asked him where they went, and he said too many people were stopping by to look, and one person gave the quilt rack a good shake. it wasn't until a couple of days later, that i discovered the extent of the damages from that shaking. all of the glue joints had been cracked, and one of the legs had separated from the lower brace. needless to say, i wasn't very happy about this, and let him know, and told him never again. he actually had the nerve to tell me that this was the condition that it was in when i left it with him. it goes without saying, that it was as stiff as a board when i left it with him. well, i've calmed down quite a bit, and have started the repairs. i've tapped it apart, and am going to re-glue everything, and re-enforce every thing that i can. when i checked the other quilt rack, no movement.

Attachments

• 001 back in the shop.JPG
    001 back in the shop.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 002 damage to leg.JPG
    002 damage to leg.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 003 back to parts before rebuild.JPG
    003 back to parts before rebuild.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 29
It should've taken more than a 'good shake' to bust those joints. I'd guess somebody tried to sit on it, and their moving around racked it enough to break the joints. Personally, I'd suspect that the 'someone' was the person running the show - the one you talked to.

Repairs look to be easy enough - particularly if you used hide glue for the original build. If you used Titebond, or equivalent, you might need to do some scraping before the re-glue.

Probably accidental damage from someone who couldn't figure out it was a quilt rack. At least it repairable and not a total loss. You always risk some loss or damage when a piece leaves your care. Sorry this happened to your work in a place where it should have been safe.

Sorry to hear of your bad experience, Dan. If it were me, the next time there's to be an exhibit, I'd bring photos of my work. If anyone were to ask, I'd simply tell them that photos don't get broken! ;)

i like that idea bill, but i've already told them, never again. glued up the legs that got separated, and put everything back together, and applied the clamps.

Attachments

• 004 legs reattached.jpg
    004 legs reattached.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 005 reassembled in clamps.jpg
    005 reassembled in clamps.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 10