Sea Trials! With video, FWIW

Roger Tulk

WE went to Leamington on Lake Eerie this weekend, to celebrate our, and our daughter's, wedding anniversaries. Forty for us, one for her and her husband. I took the newly-minted canoe, the motor and whole kit and kaboodle along. As the motor had never been started, we had to put motor oil in it, and gear oil for the shaft. Once we had everything figured out (we didn't have a lanyard for the kill switch, so we had to get inventive,) we walked it down to the lake, drank a little champagne and poured some over the bow, then the three intrepid amigos got in and motored down the lake to a fishing spot we had seen earlier, behind a marina. We spent an hour fishing, and caught one fish, a perch about the size of your middle finger, then motored back. Once we got over our initial nervousness, it was quite fun. i drove the boat because I'm the only one that has a Pleasure Craft Operator's license. I couldn't believe I needed one for a 16 foot canoe with a 2.6 hp motor, but.... The lake was too rough Friday or Sunday to risk going out, but Saturday the lake was as flat as a mirror. anyway, here's some pics. There is a very short video of us going out, and if I can, I'll add it here.

My sons in law relaxing after they moved the boat
Sea trial 2.jpg

The canoe ready for the ceremonial toast and christening
Sea trial 3.jpg

The three amigos toasting the boat
Sea trial 4.jpg

Us, just before we got under way.
Sea trial 1.jpg

How it looked in motion:
https://www.facebook.com/jenn.tulk/videos/10103653423672051/

Last edited:
So you need to get a special license to drive a boat? Interesting.

That sure does look like fun! Congratulations on the boat and the anniversaries!

Congrats on the anniversaries. Diane and I hit our 40-th in May this year.

It never ceases to amaze me just how big those lakes are. Looks like the ocean over here - can't see the other side. Water tastes a little different though.

Canoes look great too.

Congrats on the successful maiden voyage, and on the anniversaries, too. :thumb:

Like Leo, I'm always amazed when I see the Great Lakes. Around here, a big lake is anything you can't skip a rock across. :D

Roger, I was unable to view the video despite not only being a FB member, but one of your FB friends. This is the message I saw:

Roger Error Message.jpg