Wall Lumber Co.

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
A couple days ago I received an order of 20 BdFt of mahogany from Wall Lumber. They have 20 foot "UPS" bundles of many species for sale, and at very favorable prices, which includes UPS shipping.

I ordered on a Friday. The wood was shipped on Monday, and I received it (from North Carolina to Ohio) on Wednesday. The lady I talked to when I called was very knowledgeable as to what was available, and offered options as to how I wanted it (4/4; 8/4; rough; or planed; etc.)

The mahogany I received was all 4 to 5 feet long, and 8½" ~ 9¼" wide, with no knots, checks or splits anywhere.

Based on my experience with them, I highly recommend buying from them if you need a small quantity of a wood that's not readily available locally. They're nice folk to deal with.

I've bought from them in the past several times as well. In fact, the maple I used for my dining table came from them. That purchase was shipped freight though.

Always good to see positive reviews. My sources for good hardwood are pretty limited out here. I'll keep these guys in mind for possible future purchases.

Since UPS has a 4 or 5 foot limit on "cheap" shipping, they (Wall) told me that if they have a longer board with a bad end, so it no longer meets the grade at full length, they chop the bad part off and accumulate the shorter pieces to be a "UPS Bundle." Therefore the UPS bundles are often very good if you can live with no long boards.

They periodically have sales on 100 bf bundles of wood such as walnut or cherry. If I buy 100 bf, the freight is a killer, but at 200 bf, pick up at depot, the freight per bf becomes reasonable.