Any Vinyl Cutters Out There?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Rennie's thread about the new sign Jan had made for his shop door has reminded me...

I seem to recall at least one of our members here had the equipment to cut letters and designs out of self-adhesive vinyl material. I'm wanting to have a couple of small (3" x 5"-ish) stickers made for my truck. Do any of you guys do that sort of thing? I'd be able to provide the artwork, I just need someone who can cut the vinyl. I'm willing to pay for the service, of course. Any takers?

I have a vinyl cutter (among many other toys it seems lol) and would be happy to cut whatever you need. Send me the artwork at info@fourninetycreations.com - assuming a single color vinyl (I have several on hand) that would be less than 6 bucks including postage. :thumb:

That sounds great. :thumb: I'll get a good copy of the artwork and send it your way. Any preferred file format? Best DPI? I'm wanting simple white vinyl. Also, in looking at the artwork, it looks like the size will be about 6" x 2".

Darren and I do too. Now I really want to know what you are wanting to put on your truck!

A pair of Fractal logos to add to the two Fender logos on the rear side windows. :guitar: :D

That sounds great. :thumb: I'll get a good copy of the artwork and send it your way. Any preferred file format? Best DPI? I'm wanting simple white vinyl. Also, in looking at the artwork, it looks like the size will be about 6" x 2".

Easy as pie, any file format you can dream up I can probably work with. If it's a basic design it will be very easy, 150 DPI should be plenty and anything from actual size up to 12x4 or so should work. I have white Oracal 651 outdoor vinyl that should hold up fine for ya! If it's a logo on the web just point me in the direction and I can get it otherwise send me what you get and I'll get it done in a flash!

Robert - would you be able to duplicate the font used on the vinyl my wife had done? I'm thinking I might like one done in white, same size (about 19" long) for the rear window of my truck.

HERE

Why would you put fender logos on the windows, and not on the fenders? :huh:

:rofl:

When I typed that, I knew someone was going to make a wise remark of some kind, lol.

Easy as pie, any file format you can dream up I can probably work with. If it's a basic design it will be very easy, 150 DPI should be plenty and anything from actual size up to 12x4 or so should work. I have white Oracal 651 outdoor vinyl that should hold up fine for ya! If it's a logo on the web just point me in the direction and I can get it otherwise send me what you get and I'll get it done in a flash!

Ding! You've got mail! :thumb: Many thanks!

Can you cut vinyl with a laser?

Laserable 'vinyl' can be found but the short answer is no. The long answer is, the full name for vinyl is polyvinyl chloride and when you burn it, which is what the laser does, that chemical reaction causes the free chlorine to bond with hydrogen producing vaporized HCl. This is simply hot, vaporized, airborne Hydrochloric Acid which is mixed with some other nasty little dioxins but that acid will systematically kill the metal components of your laser and should you happen to breathe it in, you too.

It's always a good idea to check various tables and charts people have made of safe laserable materials before putting it in the laser. Here's a list of some to specifically avoid: http://atxhackerspace.org/wiki/Laser_Cutter_Materials

Robert - would you be able to duplicate the font used on the vinyl my wife had done? I'm thinking I might like one done in white, same size (about 19" long) for the rear window of my truck.

HERE

Rennie, that is very similar to a font called Wolf's Bane but it is far from an exact match. I suspect it has been stretched in height which is also not a problem but I'm not finding a match in the time I have to dig this morning. I used the image you supplied to get a trace but it took a little editing because it wasn't quite straight on. See how this looks and if you want to grab a picture straight on and level I could probably get a little better results. This is close. :)

Winding River.jpg

Robert it's not stretched it is a font called Galliard or ITC Galliard Roman no modification to it what so ever

Thanks Martin, I used several online font matching sites that I frequent - whatthefont and whatfontis and neither could get a good match and usually an unmodified font or even slightly modified gets a decent result. I looked up Galliard but it doesn't seem to me to be a good match either.
WRW Galliard.jpg
The W on his original art is taller (as are all the first letters) and the center point top has no serif. I can handle the use of scaled down caps for the text but the general form of the font is not matching in what I've found thus far. If you run across anything else please let me know, I have 900 fonts and it seems to go up exponentially as I match things for customers... :D

Thanks Martin, I used several online font matching sites that I frequent - whatthefont and whatfontis and neither could get a good match and usually an unmodified font or even slightly modified gets a decent result. I looked up Galliard but it doesn't seem to me to be a good match either.
View attachment 100635
The W on his original art is taller (as are all the first letters) and the center point top has no serif. I can handle the use of scaled down caps for the text but the general form of the font is not matching in what I've found thus far. If you run across anything else please let me know, I have 900 fonts and it seems to go up exponentially as I match things for customers... :D

I appreciate all the research! Thanks!!
The person we bought it from called the font Nichole, but I doubt that is a true name as a quick Google search for the nichole (or nicole) font did not get any meaningful results.

Haha, I know what I did now, I had several different fonts sitting & was matching each of them to the picture, not quite sure how I did it but I used one of those fonts at some point rather than the picture which is why it matched with no modifications :eek::eek:

I ended up redrawing it but it looks like Tom has beaten me to it, if you use his file you might want to look at the kerning, few letters need moved a little. If you look at the original there are no touching letters at all & in Tom's drawn version there are a couple in River & a couple in Workshop, not a big deal but I thought I would mention it.

I've been working as a signmaker for 20 odd years doing cad cut vinyl & I had more than 900 fonts on my system when I started after installing the signmaking software :):)
Think that came with about 5,000 (might have been more) but the software had a font manager module so they weren't all installed in the windows font folder.
Thing is there are thousands & thousands of fonts but there are so many that are almost identical it is sometimes hard to spot the differences :)