Something I Forgot!

Dave Hoskins

As some know I brought in some large cottonwood logs into the log yard the other day. Finally got to ripping one of the logs down today. Not one of the large ones by any means, about 18" in diameter. I cut it so I will get some dough bowls as well as regular bowls from it. Man was that stuff still full of water! Kept gumming up the chain on the 440 so much the chain was just spinning on the wood. Had to keep knocking the stuff off with a steel bristle brush. Then I remembered I had forgotten how wet you can get roughing out a piece of green cottonwood. Well, I done relearned what I had learned in the past. But, it will be worth it. This wood looks like it has some nice coloration to it, the best I can tell right now. Time will tell, and the bath taking in cottonwood water is continuing tomorrow. :rofl:

My last shop had a "racing stripe" on the ceiling that was over and perpendicular to the lathe bed. It was the spray stain from turning wet stuff. Always fun. :)

I don't have much of a stripe on the ceiling but only because of the fans blowing around the lathe. It all seems to get on me. Or whoever is standing in front of the fans. But that's alright. By the time I'm done I'm ready for a shower anyway.