Can add upholstery to my resume now

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
For our 20th Wedding Anniversary, I got my wife leather seat covers, which she's wanted for a while. I found black Katzkin covers on eBay for $500. Decided to put some seat heaters in while I had the covers off.

The old cloth covers.
2017-10-07 11.52.33.jpg

New leather installed.
2017-10-07 19.08.22.jpg 2017-10-07 19.08.57.jpg 2017-10-07 19.09.15.jpg

(Oh...and a stealth gloat in the background. I picked up a Hitachi 4 1/2" 18v angle grinder on close-out at lowes for 50% off today, $44)

Honestly wasn't too bad of a job, only two trips to the blue borg for bits and a socket. Other than those two tools, just needed a small pry tool and hog ring pliers/hog rings. I probably spent more time fidgeting with the seat heaters on each front seat than the time that it took to get the old cover off and new ones on. About 5 hours on covers total. Here I cut out some of the felt to allow the center velcro strip to grab the new seat covers tuck as I had to relocate the passenger's airbag enable/disable switch.. Same for the second pic, just trimmed a little on the ends with that piece.
2017-10-07 12.35.30.jpg 2017-10-07 13.15.26.jpg

I also installed a rear seat recliner kit while I had the back seat disassembled. Essentially they are just some aluminum blocks that raise the front of the seat up, angling them about 2" back, made a noticeable difference sitting back there.

I still need to run the wiring for the seat heaters before I can put the front seats back in. Oh, and cleanup what appears to be a small chocolate shake spilled under the driver's seat. :rolleyes:

Very nice. :thumb: I didn't know aftermarket seat heaters were available. I'm got them in my new used 4Runner, and even though I've only needed to use them a couple of times since I got the truck, I can already tell I'm going to use them a lot this winter.

Have the seat heater instructions? Do they say anything about not to be used with cloth seats?
Nothing about cloth seats at all mentioned, says any seat. Others have asked about that on Amazon and others responded saying it was fine for them...https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-628-040-Universal-Seat-Heater/dp/B002U6IL9O#Ask

The wires are embedded in a ceramic wool felt, so should protect from burns, most fabric seat covers are thick enough to protect from it as well.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Thanks, Darren. I was actually kidding. I don't think something like those would hold up to much abuse. And, I honestly ain't no fan of John Deere. But, that's another story. :)