HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

Roger Tulk

Yes, it's Thanksgiving Monday in Canada and most of the Commonwealth and former colonies. I don't know what they do south of the equator, but as our Thanksgiving stems from ancient rituals to celebrate a good harvest, they probably celebtae in or around April. The date of the holiday was fixed as the second Monday in November, in 1957. Looking at the meal my wife and I are preparing, I'd say the harvest was good this year.

Anyway, a happy Thanksgiving Monday to all, even if you don't do Thanskgiving until November.

Your neighbo(u)rs :D to the South also have a fixed date for Thanksgiving, albeit a bit more confusing. It's the fourth Thursday in November. This year, that makes it 23 November.

In any event, regardless of date, here's hoping yours is a happy one with a prosperous and abundant harvest.

Your neighbo(u)rs :D to the South also have a fixed date for Thanksgiving, albeit a bit more confusing. It's the fourth Thursday in November. This year, that makes it 23 November.

In any event, regardless of date, here's hoping yours is a happy one with a prosperous and abundant harvest.

Actually, I was thinking about South Africa, or Australia which turns out to have its National Day of Thanks in May, about the time the farmers in the Antipodes would be finished their harvest. I know when the American Thanksgiving is, and my daughter in Indiana has already invited us for that weekend.

Happy Thanksgiving! It's certainly been a nice weekend for feasting (and fall work). Our son was home, so we went to our favourite local creperie Saturday night to celebrate getting ALL 8 CORDS of firewood inside!! A couple of polite, hard-working local boys were a great addition to our team. I'll be calling them again.
We had our traditional Thanksgiving dinner last evening, as we were on the move today. We had a nice seafood lunch at Boondocks Pub, right on the wharf at Eastern Passage at the mouth of Halifax harbour. Kids were swimming in the cove on Oct 9 on the east coast of Canada!!! What a beautiful fall we've had.
For history buffs, the shallow, narrow Eastern Passage around Lawlor Island, thought to be impassable to larger ships, is the very spot where the Confederate raider Tallahassee evaded patrolling USN ships and slipped away on the high tide one night during the American Civil War.

Last edited:
Are the pumpkins ripe enough yet or do you have blueberry pie for thanksgiving?

Hope you had a great day!

Are the pumpkins ripe enough yet or do you have blueberry pie for thanksgiving?

Hope you had a great day!

As you know, Brent, in my world it's always a good day for Wild Blueberry pie! But the Annapolis Valley is most certainly overflowing with bright orange pumpkins. Eton Mess was the item this Thanksgiving, however. Dessert of the gods, it is.