Thread: Yesterday's Wood Haul

Yesterday's Wood Haul

Brought in 2 car hauler loads in yesterday. One of pecan and the other cottonwood. Most of the cottonwood looks good as well as the pecan. I got them stacked fairly well today. Tomorrow will start cutting some of each down for blanks. I'm not gonna try to estimate the weight of this other than saying it's a fair amount. Don't want it on your toes. Or anything else for that matter . Anyway, thought some might like to look at it. First is the pecan, then the cottonwood.

Create your own visual style... let it be unique for yourself and yet identifiable for others. Orson Welles

Anytime spent learning something, no matter how trivial it seems, is not a waste of time.

Well, that should keep you busy for a little while. But what about next month?

Nice haul(s), Dave. Don't let that chainsaw beat you up too bad.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Well, yes there always is next month to think about! With general retail sales down, I have slowed up a bit. The re sellers are still going fairly strong. I don't think I will even hit 200 pieces this year, honestly. Maybe 175? So hopefully this will hold me through the holidays. I do need to get my hands on some more red oak and maybe elm to round out things. A nice big fat mesquite tree would be good, too. Haven't found any good mesquite in a while. But, hey. I use what I can get my hands on. I hope them thar Stihl's don't whoop me up too bad. I keep the skip chains on them which seems to cause me less work. Seems anyway.
    Create your own visual style... let it be unique for yourself and yet identifiable for others. Orson Welles

Anytime spent learning something, no matter how trivial it seems, is not a waste of time.

Looks like some good solid logs you have. Are you pretty much doing only blanks or will some be cut into slabs?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Hi Darren! Yeah, they are good logs. The rest of the pecan is being used for firewood this winter. The scrap cottonwood is being burned in a burn pile. The majority will be ripped into blanks. But, I do like making dough bowls so some will be around 3" thick slabs. Mainly the cottonwood. But I think a couple of pecan dough bowls are in the future. Or more. Also, my sister who has RA asked me to make here 3 small tables out of this cottonwood so some will go to that. I already have the log sorted to rip. Going to do that today and put the slabs in the kiln. Then I'll rip a bit of pecan. Otta be fun!!!

I already have a kink in my back and looking at your wood pile just makes it hurt that much more....
    I generally only last about 2 or maybe if I push it, 3 hours on a chain saw then I need a couple of days off to rest. I cut some 15 or 20 logs to length and in half for blanks about 3 or 4 weeks ago, had to wait a week before I could do the bandsaw.
    I still have about a half dozen or more walnut logs I need to cut and two chestnut oaks that my son brought up... one of which is almost 30 inches diameter.... needs to age a bit before I try to cut it.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Chuck, when I get ready to rip logs down I really work hard at plotting out my moves ahead of time. Saves time, energy, knee aches, and back aches. And, in the case of running the 880 you have to add neck aches. Maybe even brain aches. If I plot out my cutting ahead of time, I find I can rip a lot in an hour or so. But it is a continuous hour or so only stopping to fuel and oil up. I can have a week or so of turning blanks ripped in 2 hours. The advantage of big saws. Had to eat a lot of beans and tortillas to get 'em. But it was worth it. But, they can wear you out. I try and cut green. The turn the blanks green and dry in the kiln. But we all do it different ways.

I'm in there with the pain vicariously just looking and thinking of moving more wood. My son split a cord and half and I stacked it the other day. Im still hurting from last Sunday. Be careful.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Safe??? Oh, yeah! Me safe. Gotta be. Can't add any more confusion for the doctors on what is or is not working right.