A picture to cheer up your morning

Rob Keeble

Well spotted a couple of Blue Jays that seem to have taken up residence in near me, captured this shot of a well groomed looking bird.

Enjoy , garden was full of various birds this morning, most will be on their way soon but i think these guys stay.

Edited post to add a cropped closer view, take a look at how well groomed its feathers look, you cant make that out in the other image.

Blue Jay Oct 21 2017.jpgBlue Jay Oct 21 2017 close up.jpg

Last edited:
We don't see a lot of blue jays around here. Mostly we have scrub jays which are like the ungroomed thug cousins of blue jays and are just generally annoying jerks to the other poor birds.

The blue jays are pretty cool though when they do show up. Nice shot of that one, perfect profile.

It certainly is nice to have birds in the back yard. They have started to migrate because just last weekend I saw the first slate coloured junco of the season. The juncos stick around all winter along with sparrows, chickadees, red and white breasted nuthatches, woodpeckers; both downy and hairy, American goldfinches, cardinals and a bunch of others.

There are apparently some bird species that breed in this area, migrate south but are replaced in the winter with birds of the same species from further north.

Nice pics, Rob! :thumb: My wife has seen a Steller's Jay around our yard the past couple of days. We've seen scrub jays here before, but this was a first for the Steller's.

Blue Jays are cool and you got a good photo there. Where I lived before, about 20 miles south of where I am now I had a boat load of them. Here for some reason I hardly ever see one. I always liked them. Well, I like birds period even though I don't know nothing worth speaking of about them. Except they eat grasshoppers and other nuisance bugs.

We've had a Steller's Jay visit us most every fall for the last several years and he even brought a girlfriend last year. We haven't seen him/them yet this year, though.

p1564254997-2.jpg
p1749504232-2.jpg

One year, he even got comfortable enough to eat from my hand:

I've only seen a steller's jay once, in British Columbia. My son in law saw a Cedar Waxwing yesterday, so I sat on the back deck to watch. Didn't see the Waxwing, but I did manage a female Cardinal. That's a bit odd, because I didn't think females were allowed to be Cardinals.:huh: