i had 2 loose tiles this morning ........

jim capozzi

hey all

just thought i would post a little about what i ran into this am. i found 2 tiles missing from the shower surround on the outside edge of the faucet wall . this is what i ended up with :eek: if you have cracked or missing grout take it from me ...... dont wait to fix it :doh:

Attachments

• bathroom 1.jpg
    bathroom 1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 57
  • bathroom 2.jpg
    bathroom 2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 50
  • bathroom 4.jpg
    bathroom 4.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 43
  • bathroom 5.jpg
    bathroom 5.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 44
  • bathroom 3.jpg
    bathroom 3.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 57
Jim..........I can sympathize with you! I once noticed the same thing around the control valve of the shower in the main bath in our home. I decided before repairing it I'd clean the grout around it.......As I was scrubbing the tile and the grout I pushed my hand through the wall taking several tiles with it. The guy who'd built the shower used regular wall board under the tile...the little leak significantly weakened it! Not to worry.......$600 worth of tile and cementous backerboard later things were okay!

hi ken

yeah i know what you mean. this place was built in 1962 or 68 i forget which. either way 40 years is a long time for regular drywall. i had a couple of places where the grout was breaking up a little . boy oh boy it didn't take long to loosen those tiles and make that part of the drywall wet. oh well live and learn :D

Jim, we had a similar situation in our house in Virginia. We moved in, and son decided that I needed non-skid decals on the shower floor. While he was putting them down, he leaned back against the opposite wall from the showerhead, and when he got up, there was a 3" depression where he had put his weight against the wall.:( Of course this happened while hubby was on a cruise in the Med!! I hung a plastic garbage bag over the wall to keep it dry until hubby came home. When he started removing tile to get to the wallboard, he ended up removing wall about 18" out from the shower stall, and found rot from water that must have been happening for years:eek: :eek: :eek: ---we had to replace the entire stringer and sister in the studs to repair the thing. This was the upstairs back corner of the house, and I had nightmares of standing in the shower and the entire corner of the bathroom dropping off into space!!:eek:

Ever since then, we've made darned sure that any areas around tubs and showers were backed with cement board. When we built our addition to our house here in NM, our builder wanted to use plain old wallboard. We quickly disabused him of that notion--he had never heard of using cement board in a shower or tub surround before!!!

Nancy

Even cement board won't protect you from rot, I took a shower apart in Tucson (only 15 year old house) and had to replace lots of studs due to dry rot. The board was even siliconed onto the studs -- and man was that a PITA to deal with on the sound ones! The problem in that house was a window in the shower and a very poor tiling job that lead to the grout poping easily. Tiles were laid right next to each other, with no spacers, and then un-sanded grout had been applied to fill the little rounded over edges of the tiles. Once it started to come out, it was just an invitation for water to wick in. In any case cement board will slowly pass water, especially if it's been stressed due to heavy handling. It is much better for tiling though, as if it does get a little wet, it retains its strength, which drywall does not.