Thread: Fibonacci gauge

Fibonacci gauge

I just finished the Fibonacci gauge below. Fairly simple project. The long legs are 6 3/4", short 4 1/2". Has to be simple. After all, it was named after the guy who discovered that 1 + 2 = 3. It is made from osage orange planed down to 1/4" thickness, the min. that my planer will do. Hinged with brass screws, washers and nuts. The brass cost $4.50. I used 1/4", that isn't necessary, smaller will work fine. I only used brass for the beauty. For those who may not be familiar, the Fibonacci gauge gives constant proportions for what is called the Golden Mean, Golden Proportion, Golden Ratio, etc. The distance between three of the Fib. points gives the most pleasing balance to an item for the human eye. It is found on vases, famous architecture, paintings, and many other places. Plans for the gauge can be found on the internet and may have been posted here somewhere.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Wrong upload, picture below.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Me too

I have one partially completed. I need to sharpen the points. I bought the parts from the site recommended in the article, but after I received them I felt like I had been taken.

Lightbulb

Here are a couple links relivant to this thread:
    Fibonacci Gauge and How to Use It
    Fibonacci Foolishness
    Quote Originally Posted by Fibonacci Foolishness
    The golden rectangle has side lengths with ratio f, and is supposed to be the most pleasing or attractive rectangle. Studies with real people judging rectangles of various ratios have shown that rectangle preferences vary widely, but most people prefered a ratio of 3/4 = 0.75.