Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what kind of snake is this????

what kind of snake is this????

I was headed out the back door to get tools from the shop and go to the creek to work on the sprinkler pump set up. I open the back door and in this depressionAttachment 8858 in the step is a snake, head up, I'm about 4 feet away and quickly turn and go back in. I'm glad I wasn't letting the dogs out! I go get a hoe, and come back and its hunkered down into the depression Attachment 8859trying to hide. I poke at him to try to get a better look and get a picture and he takes off across the porch and gets behind some loose screens and LOML's obedience equipment that is stashed on the porch. Have to pull it all out piece by piece (from the long end of the hoe!!! Yeah, I'm chicken) and finally get him where I can hit him with the hoe. I'm guessing water moccasin, but I'm not sure. He was sure trying to kill the hoe!! I laid an 8" brick beside him to show the length.Attachment 8860 I'm guessing between 2 and 2 1/2' long. Mousy brown color, no real markings. It does appear to have a (should I say DID appear to have a??) triangular shaped head, so I'm guessing part of the viper family??Attachment 8861
    This is only the second or third snake we've seen in 3 years here. The other two were bright green tree snakes, very pretty. Left them alone. Thanks for any insight you can give. I hope it wasn't a rat snake, but regardless would not have wanted it up against the house.
    Now, where are the rest of it's family?????? Jim.
    ps: I think I'm going to pass on the work down at the creek tonight. It's thick english ivy down there, and the rest of the family could be waiting for me!!
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

I haven't got a clue what the variety is but I can tell you without a doubt that it is now THE best kind of snake. I know we ain't supposed to knock em in the head but I do everyone I see.
    I once heard that cats and women will do darn well what they please and that men and dogs would do well to accept it and just go on.

Nope, no doubt not a viper. Not a poisonous snake. I can't tell from you pictures for sure what it is but it was not poisonous. It was harmless.

Here is a viper head. Big difference.

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Horton; 05-22-2007 at 11:35 PM.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Jeff, I can see the difference now with your picture. It looked wider in the back when it was striking at me, honest. I guess non poisenous snakes would still have fangs. I swear I saw 2 hanging down about 1/2" when it was striking at the hoe. Aaron Hamilton over at SMC said to take butter knife and open it's mouth and look for 2 white ridges. I'm thinking, man, I've never seen a butter knife with 6' handles on it before, I KNOW I don't own one. I need to do a google on the snakes and see some pictures. guess I'll do that now. Thanks guys! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Not only the head Jim but the markings aren't right for a local viper. My closest guess for your locale would be a rat snake or some other garden variety snake.

I'm a little sad to see it dead but....if you don't like 'em, you don't like 'em.
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

The NON Poisonous snakes I'm familiar with here in Tx all have tails that taper out to a long skinny point, but from the pic, that snake appears to have a blunt tail. I'd be careful with it until you get it identified. There are a lot of Copperheads down in that area, or there sure are up around Denton. DAMHIKT
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 05-23-2007 at 08:47 AM.

Jim, gives me the willys just looking at the pictures.
    Ken

in my widow i cant see any snake jim and the pic is broken up threw your thread what is my screen doun to me ? cuz i was hoping to see what youhad to show us.. ok i got to see it now my puter was freakun out its not a viper as jeff has said and its not poisonus. its not a coperhead either..wrong color check with your locals on what snake are in your area.. i am not familiar with rat snakes as was mentioned so cant comment on that buti am sure that it is not poisounus. just asked a past texan and he said it was bull snake..so your safe in both case its dead and he wasnt posionus
    Last edited by larry merlau; 05-23-2007 at 12:10 PM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Poor snake,
    good Hoe,
    Good Brick

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!

LOL, the brick never touched him. The white mark on the concrete was where the hoe hit!!
    Yeah, it's a black rat snake. Non poisonous. But doesn't need to be on my back porch. It is in the direct path the dogs take when going out the door. If one had gotten bit, then it would have been a trip to the Vet to check them and the dead snake out. They can be anywhere else on the property except at the front or back doors, and the garage door, I don't mind.
    Thanks for all the information guys. Norman, it must be the picture quality, becaust it is definately not a blunt tail...it tapers down to the end quite gradually. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!