what kind of snake is this????

Jim O'Dell

I was headed out the back door to get tools from the shop and go to the creek to work on the sprinkler pump set up. I open the back door and in this depressionDSCN1490.jpg in the step is a snake, head up, I'm about 4 feet away and quickly turn and go back in. I'm glad I wasn't letting the dogs out! I go get a hoe, and come back and its hunkered down into the depression DSCN1491.jpgtrying to hide. I poke at him to try to get a better look and get a picture and he takes off across the porch and gets behind some loose screens and LOML's obedience equipment that is stashed on the porch. Have to pull it all out piece by piece (from the long end of the hoe!!!:thumb::rofl: Yeah, I'm chicken) and finally get him where I can hit him with the hoe. I'm guessing water moccasin, but I'm not sure. He was sure trying to kill the hoe!! I laid an 8" brick beside him to show the length.DSCN1489.jpg I'm guessing between 2 and 2 1/2' long. Mousy brown color, no real markings. It does appear to have a (should I say DID appear to have a??) triangular shaped head, so I'm guessing part of the viper family??DSCN1488.jpg
This is only the second or third snake we've seen in 3 years here. The other two were bright green tree snakes, very pretty. Left them alone. Thanks for any insight you can give. I hope it wasn't a rat snake, but regardless would not have wanted it up against the house.
Now, where are the rest of it's family?????? Jim.
ps: I think I'm going to pass on the work down at the creek tonight. It's thick english ivy down there, and the rest of the family could be waiting for me!! :D

I haven't got a clue what the variety is but I can tell you without a doubt that it is now THE best kind of snake. I know we ain't supposed to knock em in the head but I do everyone I see.

Nope, no doubt not a viper. Not a poisonous snake. I can't tell from you pictures for sure what it is but it was not poisonous. It was harmless.

Here is a viper head. Big difference.

snake_striking.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
Jeff, I can see the difference now with your picture. It looked wider in the back when it was striking at me, honest. :rofl: I guess non poisenous snakes would still have fangs. I swear I saw 2 hanging down about 1/2" when it was striking at the hoe. Aaron Hamilton over at SMC said to take butter knife and open it's mouth and look for 2 white ridges. I'm thinking, man, I've never seen a butter knife with 6' handles on it before, I KNOW I don't own one. :D:rofl: I need to do a google on the snakes and see some pictures. guess I'll do that now. Thanks guys! Jim.

Not only the head Jim but the markings aren't right for a local viper. My closest guess for your locale would be a rat snake or some other garden variety snake.

I'm a little sad to see it dead but....if you don't like 'em, you don't like 'em. ;)

The NON Poisonous snakes I'm familiar with here in Tx all have tails that taper out to a long skinny point, but from the pic, that snake appears to have a blunt tail. I'd be careful with it until you get it identified. There are a lot of Copperheads down in that area, or there sure are up around Denton. DAMHIKT

Last edited:
in my widow i cant see any snake jim and the pic is broken up threw your thread what is my screen doun to me ? cuz i was hoping to see what youhad to show us.. ok i got to see it now my puter was freakun out its not a viper as jeff has said and its not poisonus. its not a coperhead either..wrong color check with your locals on what snake are in your area.. i am not familiar with rat snakes as was mentioned so cant comment on that buti am sure that it is not poisounus. just asked a past texan and he said it was bull snake..so your safe in both case its dead and he wasnt posionus:)

Last edited:
LOL, the brick never touched him. The white mark on the concrete was where the hoe hit!!
Yeah, it's a black rat snake. Non poisonous. But doesn't need to be on my back porch. It is in the direct path the dogs take when going out the door. If one had gotten bit, then it would have been a trip to the Vet to check them and the dead snake out. They can be anywhere else on the property except at the front or back doors, and the garage door, I don't mind.
Thanks for all the information guys. Norman, it must be the picture quality, becaust it is definately not a blunt tail...it tapers down to the end quite gradually. Jim.

Only one thing I know for sure from looking at your pictures: You sure don't like snakes. :D
Almost certainly, as others have said, doesn't have the viper head. You may have killed a useful snake.

A little late for this poor fellow, but perhaps you could relocate (NOT in the afterworld!) the next one you happen upon. Snakes are an important part of the ecosystem. These rat snakes eat RATS! I'd much rather have the snakes around than the rats.

I have to agree with John and last thing I want to do is start a war on here. But let me say that if there is a next time, put the dogs up and with in an hour or two I bet he moves on. If not then there is probably food nearby for him. Rats are harmful but the snake will do nothing other than make you have to change your undies.

If you see one on the road don't run over it. It's not hurting anything there.

I have caught many snakes over the years and relocated them. One of them was a quite colorful Rat Snake that was in the upstairs Corporate Office for the company I worked for. One of the guys came over looking for something to catch him, I was surprised but he didn't want it killed. I asked him if I could help and he quickly agreed. :rofl: Funny thing was we were not allowed over there.

I found it in his office amd I didn't know what it was but I knew it was not a dangerous snake. It took some time to catch him because he was TICKED OFF BIG TIME! Striking at everything that moved and you can't help but pull your hand back when he does that. Finally got his attention on someone else and I managed to grab him. Found out they had brought some old files over from the warehouse and apparently he was hiding in one of the boxes.

I don't chastise people for killing snakes but I hate to see it. They really do more good than harm. Even the poisonous ones, but I understand not wanting them around dogs and kids. I don't want them around. But rarely do you run up on a poisonous snake in most areas.

Believe it or not, they are just as scared of you as you are them! And yes they still scare me when I see one unexpectedly.

Jeff

Well, like I said in my first post, I hoped it wasn't a rat snake. They are welcome on the property, just not by the doors. Being on the creek and with the flooding we've had, I feared the worst. I admit, I don't like snakes. After it was gone, the patio sprayed off with water, the three younger dogs were just all over that porch with the smells of the snake. It took about an hour to get them over it and back in the house for supper.
Don't particuilarly like spiders either, but the big burley one staring at me at the creek this weekend was left alone. Man that was an ugly thing. And the tarantulas just get swept aside, and/or out of the garage.
Again, thanks for the information. I'll try to find a way to get the next one out of the yard by different means. Jim.

"Believe it or not, they are just as scared of you as you are them! And yes they still scare me when I see one unexpectedly"

Yep... as the old saying goes, when a snake meets a human, the snake dies most of the time. I will agree there's something visceral about running into one. In my case, when I run into a rattler, he's in for it... just a long term thing from my youth. The others I try not to mess with. Still, if I find a copperhead in the back yard, he'll meet the same fate, at least until James is a bit older.

BTW, those dogs should be patrolling the perimeter instead of lolling about! Time to speak to them sternly... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

You don't know what excitement is, nephew and I where fishing once down in GA. found this nice little cove on Lake Lanier. decided the easiest way to hold position was to tie off to the opposing banks. When I eased the boat up to the bank a water moccasin fell out of the tree and into the boat. :eek: Talk about fun, try getting a mad snake out of the boat while holding onto a lab that wants a piece of it.