Grill Cleaning?

Ned Bulken

Anyone have a 'favorite' method to de-gunk (de-grease) a Gas Grill?
use?
P5220004.jpg

My best man and 'circle of friends' pitched in and bought Lori and Me that incredible gas grill as a wedding present last summer. Well, it works great, but I'll be honest, despite a few attempts at washing the grates etc... it needs to be de-gunked in the worst way.
P5220005.jpg

I've read about using oven cleaner, but I'd like to stay away from the harsher chemicals if I can. Any other good methods/products out there I can use?

Ned,

I've had pretty good results soaking the grates in a simple green solution and scouring with a scrubby. It would be interesting to try TSP too.

Ned,
Put the grates inside a large trash bag and soak them down with oven cleaner. Close the bag up and let it sit overnight, the next day pull them out and hose them off. The gunk will rinse right off and they'll be as clean as new with little or no scrubbing. Oven cleaner will work for the grill too, but be careful if it's aluminum... oven cleaner likes to eat aluminum if you leave it on too long! There's some newer, more environmentally friendly oven cleaners out that will work fine.

Mike

I use orange clean, the acid in it cleans the grease of easy. The best way to keep it from getting to bad is to let the grill runn on high for about 10 minutes or so. This will bake most of the grease of. Then when cool wipe it down and it will stat fairly clean.

Ned, I use ZEP Industrial Purple Cleaner and Degreaser. HD carries it in gallon jugs. I use in a bottle sprayer at full strength. I spray it on every part of the BBQ, but I do try to keep it off the burners. Let it sit for a few minutes and wash it off with water. I use a pressure washer on mine. Makes it look brand new.

I also use the ZEP Purple stuff on car tires, the windshield to remove bugs, on my JD tractor to clean it up. Use it the same as on the BBQ. Just make sure you rinse it off good. So far it's done a great job on anything I've used it on.

Karl

Today was an 'expensive' LP day. Not all of it due to cooking.

First, I soaked the Grills in some simple green solution over night, then rinsed them off. That still left some grease, so into the bathtub they went, along with a healthy dose of Dawn dish liquid. Result: clean grills, dirty bathtub (since cleaned as well).
I pulled the drip shields and washed them as well, then fired up the grill and heated everything up to 600+, then let it cool down a bit and gave it all a good scrubbing with the grill brush.

Threw some barkers and hot sausage patties on after awhile and dinner was served. When I went inside, I left the grill on again a bit, and just remembered to turn it off and brush the grills again. The results are Sparkling, so to speak. Thanks for all the tips, I still need to get to the rest of the interior and get it cleaned out, but since I fired it up so hot twice today that is mostly ash. :D

Personally, I don't bother to make my grill (Weber, charcol only) look pretty enough to pass inspection by the Grill Police. ;) It stays dirty from previous use then after I light the charcol for the next use I brass wire brush it. Heat kills buggies and brush removes loose stuff.

Personally, I don't bother to make my grill (Weber, charcol only) look pretty enough to pass inspection by the Grill Police. ;) It stays dirty from previous use then after I light the charcol for the next use I brass wire brush it. Heat kills buggies and brush removes loose stuff.

Frank,
I'm in your corner too, but there is a certain basic level of 'new season' cleaning needed. Last summer ended and the LOML and I basically just put a cover over it and called it 'done'. I thought that needed to be addressed.