Ceiling Procedures

I want to cover my existing living room ceiling with T&G Aspen. Currently it has 5/8 textured drywall. Some questions come in mind.

1. Should I install firing(sp?) strips before I install the T&G?

2. What finish should be applied?

3. Should the finish be applied before I hang the T&G?

Any tricks or tips will be appreciated.

Bob

I want to cover my existing living room ceiling with T&G Aspen. Currently it has 5/8 textured drywall. Some questions come in mind.

1. Should I install firing(sp?) strips before I install the T&G?

2. What finish should be applied?

3. Should the finish be applied before I hang the T&G?

Any tricks or tips will be appreciated.

Bob
I'll leave 1 & 2 to those with more knowledge and experience. As for 3 - definitely! (Unless your name is Michaelanglelo):rofl: . In fact, you may wish to think about finishing both sides to minimize movement, twisting, warping, etc.

My $.02.

robert, if you install furring strips they would be tangential to the ceiling joists, what else would the dropped ceiling affect? window/door mouldings?...cased openings.....as far as any negitive aspects of installing on top of drywall, i don`t believe the wood would be hurt....for finish, what do you want? stain and a film finish....wax only, or maybe oil? what type of equipment do you have to apply finish? myself on a ceiling i`d go with a film finish on all sides of the wood.....if you have the equipment lacquer is fast-n-durable....if not or the odors bother you there are lots of new waterbased finishes on the market...none of which i have used....tod

finish should be poly becasue of the cleanabilty factor..you know when the wife burns the cookies and the house gets smokey:D my take on the furring strip is depends on how rought the ceiling is...that will be the detremingn factor and also the spacing that you know have in your ceiling.

not arguing with tod lacquer is good,, but the poly might be better for cleanun...

Last edited: