Thread: First SketchUp Design

First SketchUp Design

This is a picture of my first attempt at desiging a project in SketchUp. It is a dresser for my grandaughter and the design is based on her sketch. (I would not have designed the curves as I think in straight lines). The walnut material is not completly to my liking but it helps to show the overall appearance.

Keith

Very nice. You might try scaling down the walnut texture a bit. It would probably look a bit nicer that way.

And from a design point of view, any chance the back legs could have the same curve as the front one?
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Krueger View Post
    This is a picture of my first attempt at desiging a project in SketchUp. It is a dresser for my grandaughter and the design is based on her sketch. (I would not have designed the curves as I think in straight lines). The walnut material is not completly to my liking but it helps to show the overall appearance.

Keith
    Keith, excellent job of showing SU's potential. Now, if you've installed the cutlist plug-in into SU, with a click of the mouse you can find out how many board feet of hardwoods it'll take and estimate the project's cost.

I just did a similar thing using SU (including the additional cutlist plugin) and CutList Plus. Within a few moments, I was able to determine a fairly precise cost estimate of nine feet of built-in cabinets for our living room. It also allowed me to change the materials used to see its impact on project cost. Cool stuff!
    Jeff Wright
    Treasure Island FL

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    And from a design point of view, any chance the back legs could have the same curve as the front one?
    I echo this.

Also, I'm not 100% sure from the angle, but is the inside (by the drawer) part of the front leg curved also, or is it straight?

Yes the inside of the leg is also curved and the drawer fronts match this curve. I had trouble with the matching drawer front curves so these are only radius and don't match exactly when viewed up close.

There is no reason not to make the back legs curved on the outside also my first thought was that they are not so visible and it wouldn't make much diff.

Keith

Keith, if you want to send me your model, I'll make a tutorial showing how to get those matching curves.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly