If you don't want to build a shop

The only folks I ever met who could make that house payment were ex-wives! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DT

No details on much. No inside photos either.

And note it says "in sight of I-86". Which to me means it is "in sound" of it as well. :rolleyes: The train tracks near my house are bad enough, I don't think I'd want the rumble of a highway.

And what's with the "5 gypsy style camping wagons" ? He doesn't actually say they rent them out, but what else is the point? Running a campground type operation is a hole mess of work, and you are seriously tied down. No weekends away during the summer.

But just call me a wet blanket... ;)
...art

Here you go, win the lottery and start living large

http://www.forsalebyownercenter.com/listing-48350-Friendship-NY-14739-RealEstate.aspx

No details on the tools tho!

Jay,

I know where that town is (Friendship, NY). If you look halfway between Buffalo and Rochester and then down almost to the PA line. It is in the Allegany foot hills. Nice little country town. :thumb:

Just a little out of my price range (choke, choke, cough, laugh! :rofl: ) Actually, based on the woodworking demographics that you found, it looks like its out of most woodworkers price range :eek:

Actually that's not such a bad deal - 26 acres (just a little over $25K per acre), ponds, house, shop, all that equipment (indoor and outdoor). There are 1-acre lots here in Rio Rancho going for more per acre than this parcel, and then you have to build the house!!...and shop!! Try buying that in the Houston area...or Southern California...or Florida...or Bucks County, PA. You'll pay twice or more for the same setup.

LOML and I couldn't afford it, but there are those who certainly could...wish I was one of them.
Nancy

25k per acre:eek: ........thank goodness for the sticks! if a person heads toward the flatlands and gets on the fringe of the ozarks land can still be had for around 500 an acre in 30-40 acre tracts.....no cities or this ol` boy;)

What you are paying for is a "Bussness" not the land. The land and house alone would only be around $150. I beleive i-86 is a two lane road. I have freinds that live there, it is a wonderfull place.

$665,000!!

Oh boy, you guys don't know you're born!

That equates to around £330,000. In the sticks anywhere in England that kind of money would get you no more than a 3-bedroomed semi-detached house with a small garden and maybe a single garage. Within 30 miles of London it would get you just the garage!

Young couples here are paying that kind of mortgage on their starter homes!

Interest only!!

So after 25 years they still haven't started paying for the house!

Duncan

Here in Los Angeles, $650K will get you a 3BR 2BA about the same size with an attached 2-car garage. You can find them for a bit less, but I wouldn't want to live in most of those nieghborhoods. If you shop hard and are lucky, there will be more than 5 feet between your bedroom window and the neighbor's bathroom. We shopped real hard and were extremely lucky, but we still have the neighbor's dog barking 5 feet from the bedroom window sometimes.

Guy, you know what, if you take a $100 bill, and fold it up, as small, as possible, and put that on the ground, it won't even start to pay for the piece of land under it, here in Tokyo :rolleyes:

Don't talk to me about land prices...............btw, did you hear..........???

They stopped making land a while back ;) :D :rofl:

Hey Duncan, you might be right about the 25 years and not paying for the house, but at least the value of the house will have gone up.

Cheers!

Like Vaughn, we left coasters have a different perspective. I saw it and thought how increditably cheap that was. Median price in my county is slightly above $0.5 Million. I've got no idea how anyone can afford to move here!

25k per acre:eek:
That's not really all that bad, depending on where you look. My last house that we built I had to pay $67k for 1/3 acre. There are plenty of parcels in my new town that could be had for around $200 per 1/2 acre. If you want to live in the suburbs of a metropolitan area you can pay quire a bit for the land itself. And that I why we bought a fixer upper.:)

What you are paying for is a "Bussness" not the land. The land and house alone would only be around $150. I beleive i-86 is a two lane road. I have freinds that live there, it is a wonderfull place.

I spent 3 years going to school in that part of the state. I-86 is a 4 lane divided highway - 65mph. It used to be called Route 17 back in the day. I-86 basically runs parallel to the NY/PA line across the bottom of NY state.

Well, in Summit, New Jersey, twenty three miles from Wall Street and with a good rail commute to The City, we're paying from $900,000 to over $1,500,000 for houses to tear down and do new in their place. All real estate markets are local. The lots I'm referring to are from 1/3 acre to an acre in size.

That said, the market here is still good (last summer was not), and these properties will likely appreciate quite a bit over time. The market is liquid, meaning you can sell things readily. When you get into the rural areas, as nice as they may be, the market thins out quickly, liquidity goes to hell, and appreciation isn't nearly as good. That 25 acres with shop and Conestoga wagons, etc, for $625,000 may languish on the market for some time.

Well, in Summit, New Jersey, twenty three miles from Wall Street and with a good rail commute to The City, we're paying from $900,000 to over $1,500,000 for houses to tear down and do new in their place. All real estate markets are local. The lots I'm referring to are from 1/3 acre to an acre in size.

That said, the market here is still good (last summer was not), and these properties will likely appreciate quite a bit over time. The market is liquid, meaning you can sell things readily. When you get into the rural areas, as nice as they may be, the market thins out quickly, liquidity goes to hell, and appreciation isn't nearly as good. That 25 acres with shop and Conestoga wagons, etc, for $625,000 may languish on the market for some time.

If I had that kind of cash, I'd think hard about it, though it is still in NY, and the LOML wants to move to warmer climate when we move. If I had that money there was a neat place near my folks down in VA 5 bedroom on a nice wooded lot, with detached shop AND 3 stall attached garage.