Interesting statistics

Now it would be interesting to see the same report from each of the woodworking magazines to see how they compare.

I wonder what percentage of the members gave personal information. I never do.

I should drop my subscription because I don't qualify on 8 out of 10 items. It is a good thing I re-upped last week before reading this post.

I'm not sure those stats are worth the electrons they're displayed with. First, the group is self selecting. Second, the numbers are self reported. Third, it's in the magazine's interest to inflate the numbers, so they can sell more ads at higher prices. The income numbers alone would put their average reader at well over twice the national average. I doubt whether even the higher end conde nast mags have a subscriber base that's so well off. And we're a pretty well educated group, more so than any other woodworking forum I've seen, but do even we have 86% of members with at least a B.A or B.S.? Again, that's well over twice the national average... ;)

There are some stat questions I've often asked myself, though, and never found a good answer. How many major vendors of table saws are there? A dozen, perhaps, all splitting up the market. But how big is the market? Specifically, how many table saws ( or bandsaws, or lathes) are sold in this country each year. I know someone on here knows the answer, and I've been meaning to ask for a long time... ;)

thanks,

Bill

I'm not sure those stats are worth the electrons they're displayed with. First, the group is self selecting. Second, the numbers are self reported. Third, it's in the magazine's interest to inflate the numbers, so they can sell more ads at higher prices. The income numbers alone would put their average reader at well over twice the national average. I doubt whether even the higher end conde nast mags have a subscriber base that's so well off. And we're a pretty well educated group, more so than any other woodworking forum I've seen, but do even we have 86% of members with at least a B.A or B.S.? Again, that's well over twice the national average... ;)

There are some stat questions I've often asked myself, though, and never found a good answer. How many major vendors of table saws are there? A dozen, perhaps, all splitting up the market. But how big is the market? Specifically, how many table saws ( or bandsaws, or lathes) are sold in this country each year. I know someone on here knows the answer, and I've been meaning to ask for a long time... ;)

thanks,

Bill
Somewhat agree... Myself, especially, do not qulify under the 122K income bracket. (unless SWMBO is holding out on me) My retirement is goo but not THAT good. :dunno: