Thread: Glider Design - Critique Please

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Glider Design - Critique Please

Well, I'm almost done with the BIG DESK for LOML and I am thinking about my next project. Since I have the new house I thought some outdoor funiture would be the order of the day so here is the first piece.

Attachment 8924Attachment 8927

suggestions as to how I can make it better.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Don, great looking piece! I like the curves that compliment each other (the gentle curve in the arm pieces and the seat and seat back).

Have you had a chance to sit in a seat with a similar shape/incline/curve to make sure you like the feel.

Also, how about making the ends of the arm rests (about where your hands might lay) rounded instead of squared off?

Also, posting the actual SU file might let us better 'see' your design, unless the file size is too large.
    Jeff Wright
    Treasure Island FL

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Great Idea on posting the file. It's to big, I'll have to see if I can reduce it down a bit. I think you may be right about the end of the arm rests.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Glider Design - Critique Please

Nice looking design, Don. I'm inclined to agree with Jeff on the rounding of the arm rests.

And, try scrunching the bottom framework in a little so it doesn't hit the back of your legs on the back swing.

Just MHO.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.