Wood for Ebony finish

Jeff Horton

Going to be building a pair of these lamps for my sister. She wants and Ebony finish (stain) on them. Trying to decide what wood to use? I was thinking walnut till she told me she wanted the Ebony on them. Doesn't make much sense to me to use Walnut and then stain it black. Looking for suggestions on wood.

lamp_tracy.jpg

Walnut? Interesting, I had always heard oak was best. Saw a demo using steel wool in vinegar that ebonized very nicely. I was going to try it. Somehow, the mixture expands. I had on a steel shelf with my turning tools. Corroded the shelf something awful and discolored the tools. :eek: But, I digress.

Hi Jeff,
I did several entertainment centers out of rift cut white oak ply and solid stock. They were to match dining room tables and such. I didn't do the colorizing but if you don't mind the hit on the price, and don't mind coloring a beautiful light grain piece of wood burnt umber and black( I think that makes ebony) it is a beautiful choice. Oh, I forgot, they both got stained ebony.
Shaz

Once again I find my thinking was wrong. :doh: Saw those photos of ebonized Walnut and was totally impressed. Since I have plenty of walnut I guess that is what I will use.

I am making her a wine cabinet out of walnut but no plans to ebonize it. But, once I get the lamps done............ I might change my mind!

Jeff
Really ready to get back to wood working!