The LAB tour

Jeff Horton

A Shop tour of the LAB.

The lab is split down the middle with a garage door so I leave he center section (more or less) open as a work space and place I can pull in a car or tractor to work on them. I am standing in the center looking to the right.

shoptour1.jpg

My bench where I do mostly woodworking but it has motor parts on it right now along with wood stuff. Two King Seeley (craftsman) drill presses over by the wall.

shoptour2.jpg

To the left. My new bandsaw "No Name" and my Broadhead Garret/J-Line jointer. The joiner will be put on the market before long I think. With the 12" I really don't need it. And I have a short bed Delta that once restored would fit in smaller space and be perfect for small parts. The Great Pumpkin will take care of the rest.

The Grizzly will probably be put on a mobile base and retired to the far corner once the No Name bandsaw is going. I may put a very narrow blade on it and iuse if tight curved cuts. I would sell it but I don't think it would bring much and it's only two years old?

shoptour3.jpg

By the outside wall is my first OWWM, the DeWalt RAS and Lazarus, my Unisaw everyone said was dead. So I named it Lazarus.. There is a garden gate against the wall along with the side panels. Thats the posts for it laying beside Lazarus drying and warping before I put them up. They have been there all winter so I think they are ready. Just got to get the tractor running so I can bore the holes and install the posts.

shoptour6.jpg

Turn 180 degrees from the last photo and this is my Rat Hole/sheet good storage. The garage door is the right just out of site. Wood rack forms an isle way for storage of stuff you don't need but don't want to toss either. And of course those things you use once a year.

Some clutter there that needs to go away. The base for the shaper I parted out and a wooden cart that needs to be dismembered and put in the scrap pile. Oh for more time!

shoptour4.jpg

This is my restoration area. I set up a portable bench here. Hollow core door on saw horses with the motor clamped on it. I have.... well I had a nice space to put a machine here out of the way while I restored it. But the Great Pumpkin has horned it's way in this space.

The shaper and planner are on wheels and they are typically stored over here where the bench is till I need them. Then I roll out to the center like they are now to be used. I never wanted my machines on wheels. Then I found it easier to clean up after the shaper if it was away from the wall. That is the messiest machine in the shop! It slings chips everywhere! Followed close by the planner but at list it sends everything in one direction, I can catch 65% of he chips in a garbage can behind the planner

shoptour5.jpg

Back to where we started on the right side. My lathe and the Great Pumpkin. I think it is going stay there. It looks like this is going to be a good location for it. Close the wood rack and the planner. I can set up saw horses nearby. Looks ideal.

In the corner is my sink and sharpening station. Rack with OWWM parts, paint and one of the three unrestored machines in my shop. Has anyone spotted the unrestored machines? I think two are visible if you look close.

Jeff

Stu, I can't image how you get by in such a small space! Different perspectives. :)

I designed this house and I could have had even bigger space. But I wanted to save some money and this is working out really well.It's roughly speaking it's 30 x 40. Figured that was all I would ever need and I think I was right.

I had not planned on the garage door in the center of the lab. But the grade fooled me and I had to move door around or spend more money on retaining walls and my drive to the basement would have had been steep and tight turn to boot. So I moved the door and while it took a while I found an arrangement that works well.

Jeff