Straight answer please

I'm needing a 24" straight edge (minimum length) for precision alignment of the fret board and frets on my guitar. Woodcraft sells the Pinnacle 24" unit for $90.00. ($190.00 for 48") I've seen other brands for more and some for less....

Not ever using one of these "high precision edges" I can't judge how much more accuracy I can gain. Heck, I don't even know how much I need. I've always just used a steel ruler to align my table saw, jointer and planer. It has worked well.

So I'd like to know:
  1. What do YOU use when reaching for your "straight edge"?
  2. Do you think the high priced precision edge is needed in woodworking?
Thanks for any straight advice you can give...

1. What do YOU use when reaching for your "straight edge"?
  2. Do you think the high priced precision edge is needed in woodworking?

What ever is handy. I do have a 36" alum ruler/yard stick. I have jointed a piece of scrap. Broken Four foot level.

Not no but HECK no. It's wood and we are not machinists! There is no way we can work to that kind of precision. The wood moves more than that too.

Jeff
Thinking John hit on his woodworking pet peeve

Last edited:
For checking frets and fingerboard alignment on a guitar, I'd think a $90 straightedge would be overkill. I'd go with the 24" aluminum one from Lee Valley for $23.50. (I've got the 38" version for setting up my jointer, but it'd be too long for a lot of guitar stuff.) I've dressed a lot of frets with a plain old 18" steel ruler as my guide.

john, the oly time i reach for something other than an mdf or baltic rip i grab a 25"bar of knife steel...i`m thinking that for guitar necks,(i`ve not ever built one!)....that just about any ol` straight piece of stock would work, afterall they`re made to be adjusted with a truss rod, so as long as you set the frets parallel with each other you should be good to go?

I have the 24" woodcraft one, I use it for my jointer, it makes setting up my jointer a LOT easier.

For your purpose, I think the LV aluminum one would be fine, but I'd not fret about it.......... :rofl:

Sorry, could not resist!! :wave: :D

Hey John,

Don't know anything about guitar making, so I'm not sure if my comments are helpful. I pretty much follow the same thoughts as Tod and Jeff. Aluminum yard stick, 48" level, ripped piece of ply/MDF, etc...

We need to schedule another get together soon! I'm tied up through the middle of June, but after that let's see if we can set something up!

Ed

I've got an older model 40" aluminum LV S.E. that works fine for most things. I also picked up an 18" Starrett for use on shorter things where the 40" was a bit awkward. HD often has some ridiculous sales on Starrett stuff on their website which is where I picked mine up.

John, if you have a place that cuts and sell steel ask if you can go through the scrap bin and you should be able to fine a pice of 1/8 x 1 1/2 inch flat bar that is strait on one or both sides. cost mabe a buck. I have a 8' and a 4' at the time it was $ 4.50.
Bob

Lee Valley has good quality straight edges - either steel or aluminum. For the price they are hard to beat. I have the 24" steel and 50" aluminum. Starrett is the best but probably overkill for your purposes.

Good Luck

Bob