Mission or Arts & Crafts ?

Sean Wright

Is there any difference between the design of Mission furnature and Arts & Crafts style furnature?

I watched David Marks make either a table or a stool on "Woodworks". He said it was done in the Arts & Crafts Style. To me it looked like Mission furnature.

Are they different, or is it just two different ways of saying the same thing?:dunno:

Thanks !

I am by no means an expert but my take is that they are the same. Some books that I have read claimed that Mission evolved from Arts and Crafts -but I can't see that it has evolved very far (which is a good thing).

Last edited:
I would suggest that mission is a sub-category of arts and crafts, but I have no references to back that up.

John,

Seems so from a statement in my first link...

"Arts & Crafts furniture is, historically, a big umbrella that covers a number of subcategories. Mission, Craftsman, Stickley, Quaint, Handcraft, Greene & Greene, Prairie Style, Roycroft, and others all apply the same idea: hand made furniture made attractive by its very structure, usually made of white oak, often fumed in ammonia, or red oak, and finished simply and honestly."

I'm getting in Japanese furniture of the "Meiji" period....1853 ~ 1912 too. Lots came over from Europe...about the beginning of their A & C period?

Last edited:
Arts & Crafts was a movement, not a particular style. It was started in reaction to the ornate furniture styles being produced at that time.

Mission furniture is a style that came out of the Arts & Crafts movement.

I'm no expert so I'm not sayin' . . . I'm just quotin'

A&C - "this style glorified craftsmanship in simple shapes with exposed joinery, spare ornamentation and strong lines. Materials used to embellish the look include metals, stained glass and painted tiles and fabrics featuring stylized floral motifs."

Mission - "this style features heavy, dark-finished oak furniture with straight and simple rectangular lines; associated with Gustav Stickley."

There's a difference? Gustav gets credit in both forms but G&G only show up in A&C(?).