Thread: New shaper today

New shaper today

Hi Guys n' Gals,
    I got a pleasant surprise call today. A friend went to an auction at one of Honolulu's oldest Delta dealers that was closing its doors after over 50 years. He bought me a "Brand New" old-stock Delta 43-122 shaper, still in the box. (well, what was left of the box that is.) Pictures attached. (It did happen) I don't have a place for it yet so it will stay in pieces for a while. More to follow. Oh yeah, it cost me $200.
    Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Cool you hawaiins

get all the good deals save suma them fer us mainlanders
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

New shaper today

I know, Larry,

I have been in that same store, (big as most big box stores) and I know what they had. I didn't get to attend the auction but I know plenty people got bargains. I was told of one guy who bought the entire displayed stock of stainless fastners (probably 7 or 8 shelves high by about 30 ft long, loaded, #8 to 1 in. & larger, screws, nuts, bolts, washers, lags, etc.) for $1000.

I was glad to get what I did, thanks to my friend.

Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

Registered voting member

What a deal Tony! I did a quick search and sure did not see anything even comming close to what you paid. It looks like that the 122s are one hp. Is that correct? In any case, it is bound to be one of the first class American made motors.

New shaper today

Allen, (Hmm, that's the name of me friend who bought this shaper for me) I haven't even opened the motor package yet and didn't look to see if it was made in the US. I would suspect probably so, because everything else I looked at was marked so. I opened the document folder this morning and it is a 1 hp. Should be enough for what I'm going to do. I won't push any production through it though.
    Aloha, Tony

Registered voting member

New shaper today

Well, I assembled the shaper today. It's a nice machine. I found one little problem. The tapered locknut that holds the spindle in place was not threaded correctly. I have to re-tap it or make a new one. Here's a few new pictures of the progress.

Registered voting member

Tony,

Nice Score!

Can't beat a Delta Shaper for $200 !
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe