urban sprawl, with Sketch UP

Sprawl is spreadout and flat, one story and rambling, at least that is what we need here:D , not "UP" on the third floor!:doh: JandNoptions 3.jpgJandNoptions4.jpgJandNoptions5.jpg:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I'm thankful for the work!:eek:
This is a new one in the works. Third floor, sink, fridge, ice and uppers.Now what can we do with that? Can be basic boxes or a little bit of fufu. It is their call now, to choose a style, lean toward one, do a combination of the aforepictured drawings or just show me a photo and I can plagarize it:eek: ,(I hate that)!
Shaz

Last edited:
Robert, how would you feel about collaborating on this one? You send me the dimensions and other important stuff and I'll do up some SketchUp sketches. We can go from some basic, get the feel of the project to final working drawings if you'd like.

Robert, how would you feel about collaborating on this one? You send me the dimensions and other important stuff and I'll do up some SketchUp sketches. We can go from some basic, get the feel of the project to final working drawings if you'd like.
Hi Dave,:wave:
You are always so considerate, I think that might be an interesting trek.
I have some concrete dimensions, I just don't have the job yet!:rofl: I do however have the desire to see some of this freehand go toward the Professional and to see it in 3d would be a trip:eek: :D . What dimensions would you like to start with?

Hello back. How about we start with some basic case sizes, door sizes and so on? Something so that a simple study could be done to show the client.

Hello back. How about we start with some basic case sizes, door sizes and so on? Something so that a simple study could be done to show the client.
How about a photo of the area and then some numbers?

Cabinet wall existing.jpg

This is the space, with a light patterned carpet seen on the far side of several dark theater chair backs.
My fixed stats are... cabinets butt wall on left ( wall comes out about 30")
Both upper and lowers die there. Height is no issue as it is a high ceiling and the cabinets stop way short. There is a door to the attic space, the casing is approximately 105" from the left wall. The counter top is 36" to the finished surface and I have determined the length to be 99". That will leave a 6" space not crowded by the door casing. I know that is not enough to work with but I guess I am thinking we need to set the limits first and then the details. Is that working for you?

Last edited:
The next set of fixed dimensions are the appliances. We have an ice maker at 34 1/8" H X 14 15/16" wide X 24" to the front of the door. That will be centered between a 24" w cabinet to it's left and a fridge to the right size being 34 1/8" H X 23 15/16" wide X 23 7/16" deep ( including door). The appliance sizes were fixed but not the 24" cabinet. I got that size (width) by determining a comfortable size for the sink on the countertop. The sink is to show about 20". I figured 8 1/2" to the right of the sink for counterspace, 20" for the sink and 7 1/2" counter space to the left of the sink to the edge of the fridge below.
In considering these dimensions, the counter top finished tile surface will be at 37 1/4" not the 36" formerly mentioned due to the tile band being 2 1/2" plus a space(grout line) and then the thickness of the top layer of tile.:dunno: :D Better now than when we can't get the appiances under the counter!:eek: :rofl: :rofl: The sink cabinet will be 35" wide leaving a 1" overhang of the counter and still center the sink in the center of that 17 1/2" center point.

Last edited:
Sorry to disappear last night. I tried to check in and got some error message about the server bandwidth limit being exceeded. I tried a few times then gave up and went to bed.

So here's what I've got so far. Does this seem to jive with what you were thinking? I just cut an opening for the sink. I'm not sure of the front to back depth so I guessed.

d4a2b360.jpg

Dave,
That is a great rendition of the lowers. Right now the view is much too big for the screen. How can I downsize the "super sized" image?
How did you do this artist rendition?:huh:
Are you keeping secrets???:rofl: :rofl:

Very Kewl, guys. This will be interesting. I'd love to learn how some of you can make SketchUp really shine...

View attachment 9093

Shaz,

I couldn't get it to work either...Oh! But I'm on a Mac, and don't have a "refresh" key or button on my iMac...:eek:

:huh: :dunno:

:rofl:

Last edited:
Rob, I think it'll be fun, too. Especially working with Shaz the Wiz. ;)

Robert, yes, I mean hold the Ctrl key while clicking the Refresh button for Internet Explorer. I resized the image so it would be smaller on the screen but you'll probably need to reload the image. Your browser will otherwise continue to load the large version which would be in your Temporary Internet Files.

You could also navigate away from this page and delete the files under Tools>Internet options and then come back. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm gonna try it by exiting FWW and then come back, here I go (this is like not really knowing what I'm doing but I believe, being a computer illiterate, that what I am about to do is right:D ) Like repelling off a bridge:eek: "What Happened To the SIDE OF THE BRIDGE!!!!!!!:eek: :rofl:

I'm back. Did you want me to delete .files..cookies ...or settings? Basically I'm not sure what to do but I was able to see Greg's photo just fine. Too much basic computer void here.:D
I am on ATT Yahoo so I shrunk that opened internet explorer,went to Fww, >sprawl clicked f5 and voila...nada, anyhow ..Dave it does look great. How did you get the artist rendering? is that Sketch up?

Last edited:
I don't think you need to delete cookies. Just the other Temporary Internet Files. I think Select Delete Files from the Tools>Internet options dialog. You'll need to totally navigate away from FWW before you do that.

The sketchy look is pure SketchUp. I did download a texture to try to emulate the wall in your photo. It's not perfect but it was what I could find easily.

p.s. I'm heading out soon to go do some work on my "new" Catalina 27. I'll be back later in the day to pickup here. Have a great day everyone.

Shaz,

You might also try accessing the site by manually typing in the address for FW...NOT using a bookmark. Sometimes that works on various "glitches" too. Worth a try.

Dave, that "drawing" style and background are very nice. How long have you been using SU?

Shaz,

You might also try accessing the site by manually typing in the address for FW...NOT using a bookmark. Sometimes that works on various "glitches" too. Worth a try.

Dave, that "drawing" style and background are very nice. How long have you been using SU?
Hi Greg, :wave: It is amazing how many different thing one can attempt to work out of a situation. Your idea would probably work but I ended up closing out of FWW, went to home page, clicked on tools, clicked on internet options, then in the "temporary internet files" area I clicked on( after several moments hesitation) delete files which I thought could eliminate half the brains in my computer. Fortunately Dave had already reloaded a smaller file and that came up. Thanks for the input.