Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planer Sled 2.0

Planer Sled 2.0

This is straight out of Keith Rust's plans here:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=24118

I just wanted to share how even I could do this :

The desire is to be able to face joint a board that is wider than your jointer. First you need some parts:

Attachment 9070

I used 3/4" BB Ply to make some braces. The result is like a torsion box. You want to build this on a known flat reference surface:

Attachment 9071

The top and bottom are glued and screwed to the braces. I offset the panels by about 1/2", marked and drilled the holes. This prevents the screws from running into each other from opposite sides of the base (a little blurry on this one, it must have been getting late):

Attachment 9073

Gratuitous glue up shot. The panel and supports at the back of the bench are just setting there. This is not part of the assembly:

Attachment 9072

So here's the base assembly. The extra 5/16" hole at each end is for a dowel that will hold the bungee cord:

Attachment 9074

Here's my amazingly refined and sophisticated jig to slot the support rails at 15 degrees to accept the leveling wedges:

Attachment 9075

A little double stick tape, squared off 2x4 and some phony credit cards for shims and I can cut the 15 * wedges on the CMS:

Attachment 9076

And cut to length without changing the setup:

Attachment 9077

The end result is a row of adjustable supports to compensate for the irregularities of your board. The black stuff is stair tread, there's some on the wedges as well. The supports and wedges are loose. The bungee cord keeps them in place while in use and while being stored:

Attachment 9078

Once adjusted the board sits still and you can plane the exposed surface. Once flat, you can set the jig aside and plane the board to thickness like usual. You want to keep the front of the board closer to the support than the distance from your infeed roller to your cutter head so that the board is under control before machining begins:

Attachment 9079

The actual construction was not as involved as writing this post. This should tide me over till I can get a real jointer.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-28-2007 at 01:24 AM.

Well done!

So Glenn,
    Now you have made it, does it work?

Paul

Very well. The trial run is what taught me to keep the front support close to the front of the board. If the infeed roller pushes down and the board's leading edge is not supported; things get ugly. DAMHIKT.

Update - This 2 x 4 could have been done on even my little jointer but, he was a pretty ugly duckling so I used him for an example.

Take out the wobble and make a pass:

Attachment 9116

Take a couple more:

Attachment 9117

Put the jig away and machine as usual:

Attachment 9118
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-28-2007 at 04:02 PM.

Glenn,

Thats a pretty clever idea!

What size/kind of planer are you using for this?
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Mine is a DW734 which is a 12 1/2". This was convenient as the Author used the same planer (or maybe a DW733 which looks real close) so I could use some of his measurements directly.

In general the base on mine is 12". This allows plenty of clearance in case you have to jockey the supports a bit. I used it again a little while ago and it is surprisingly easy to use.

Pretty cool jig there. I'll have to build one...eventually. I've got a 734 as well. Thanks for the link!
    -Ned

Question How do the supports not move?

This sled is something I really need. I'm halfway thru making it but I still can't wrap my mind around how the supports don't move at all as the sled travels thru the planer? Are they at all fastened down or do they at least have tread tape on the bottom?

Well done Glenn, a lot better than a flat board with a cleat and some playing cards.....
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Strockis View Post
    This sled is something I really need. I'm halfway thru making it but I still can't wrap my mind around how the supports don't move at all as the sled travels thru the planer? Are they at all fastened down or do they at least have tread tape on the bottom?
    There is tread material on the tops of the support blocks and on the tops of the wedges as you see in this pic above. The plans called for the wedges to have tread material on the bottoms. It works better on mine with the tread material on the tops of the wedges as far as keeping things in position until the little screws are 'pinky tight'. In this pic from the OP you can see the screws in the ends of the support blocks.

The tread material (don't use sandpaper unless you like grit in your knives) keeps the board from moving, the wedges are locked into position with just finger pressure on the screws which keeps the supports from moving and everything stays very solid. As of this writing I have used it a bunch and have never had anything shift on me. Watch the video again. It took me a couple viewings but then all of the sudden you get this "ah-ha" sensation. ;-)

P.s. I was very cautious my first few runs until I was sure nothing could get in the way of the knives. Support at the infeed and at the outfeed is crucial to safe use. I keep the outfeed a little high to avoid snipe.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-20-2007 at 12:42 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I like it, Glenn!

I have a 10" jointer but rarely use it for face jointing. This sled looks like it would be a lot easier in use.

I'm going to make me one and hang it up right next to the 'Evans Edger'!