Thread: Nescessity -the authority to buy new tools!

Nescessity -the authority to buy new tools!

I hope I spelled that right, I can never tell.

The LOML's new fridge has ice/water through the door. Well, she forgot to Buy the kit to hook them up. I went to Lowe's yesterday and picked up the right kit, which includes a self piercing tap for the water line. Guy in the appliance department suggested, however that for better water flow, I also drill out the connection to the pipe with a 1/4" bit. OK, I can do that. Oh, wait, I don't Have any decent drill bits... time to buy a new tool! (loud cheering)

SO, off to the tool crib I go in search of a 1/4" bit. $5 for one bit?! OUch! what else is there... cheaper bits, sure... but that Bosch sure looked nice... hmmm waitaminute, lookie there a bosch drill bit kit! (say that ten times fast) only $14 for ten bits! OK, i'll bite.

there it is, along with my trusty old Firestorm and its constant companion, the Craftsman pilot/driver combo bit set.
    -Ned

That salesman did a great job. While it's always nice to get new tools, that self-tapper thingy does just fine.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    That salesman did a great job. While it's always nice to get new tools, that self-tapper thingy does just fine.
    oh, he had almost nothing to do with the bit purchase. I just took advantage of the 'Need' a new tool rule.
    -Ned

Great get on the drill bits Ned!

I've heard a LOT of horror stories of those add in water lines going "pop" usually while you are away for the long weekend, enough time to fill your basement full of water

Most of the pros I know, will not use them.

How hard is it to do it with a real connection?

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu,
    If I can find a fitting to stop down from a typical hose valve, very easy! The nearest water line is a washer hookup which is on the wall directly behind the freezer. (going to trade freezer and fridge positions tonight). If I could find a way to stop down from washer fill hose to 1/4" fill line I'd be hooked up in about ten minutes tops. I really would rather NOT tap into the line if truth be told. I bought the kit though just the same as it has some usable parts anyway.

I'll be near two Borgs tomorrow, so I'll stop and ask Other Drones if such a part exists.
    -Ned

Ned,

Any project where you can score a new tool, is a good one.

I have been using that concept for a while now, and I have amassed quite a bit.

You can look at it like this. The cost of the tool, along with the cost of the part(s) for the job(whatever it might be) in total should be less that what it would cost for you to hire someone to do the job.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Wright View Post
    Ned,

Any project where you can score a new tool, is a good one.

I have been using that concept for a while now, and I have amassed quite a bit.

You can look at it like this. The cost of the tool, along with the cost of the part(s) for the job(whatever it might be) in total should be less that what it would cost for you to hire someone to do the job.

Well, I Still haven't got the darned water supply hooked up, but today IS saturday and I"m going to be running errands today.

My lovely wife is VERY understanding about my buying tools, she has seen that I don't just buy something and never use it. I've been going around and gathering my tools back up, getting ready for the shop construction. Can't find my hammer, so I'm going to have to pick one up today.

oh, and yesterday I picked up the screws shown here two sizes of drywall, two sizes of panhead and the silver ones are coated deck screws for the floor of the new shop:
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 06-02-2007 at 01:29 PM.
    -Ned