Another bench question.

Jim O'Dell

In thinking a little further on about the bench, I have some T-track to install for stops, feather boards, etc. Will it be best to have it on top of the built in fence? or on the face of the fence? I'm thinking on top so that nothing will be in the way of taller stock, so I don't have to take items off the track to use it. Stops could be L shaped to hang over the edge, same thing for other items. Probably big enough so that 2 tie downs can be utilized for better strength to keep things from moving. Any preferences? and why? (like I need to ask for explanations!!:wave:) THANKS! Jim.

I run mine on the face but I vote for TOP having had the experience. That cool-eddie Incra track that also holds a measureing scale is not expensive. My only gripe is they only accept 1/4" bolts which I find 'feel' a little weak although I've had no problems. The majority of my t-track is Rockler style with 5/16" t-bolts.

Last edited:
I put my tracks on top.

I have the fancy snazzy fold up/down Kreg stop

I wonder if those will work with T-track that's not Kreg track? I guess the bolts could be changed out. I bought two 8' tracks at the wood show in '05 for this bench. Probably should have bought 3 so I could cut down one for the ends. It was from Peachtree I think. Fairly heavy track, no place for a measuring tape though.
How close to the edge should it be for the flip stops to work properly? Would 1/2" be close enough? Thanks! Jim.

Kreg track is for 1/4" bolt Jim.

I see no problem drilling it out for a bigger bolt to fit other tracks.
Tape is in front of track [on track]. So you other track would need set back some. Yes, 1/2 or so.
I can do a better measurment if need be.

Kreg track is for 1/4" bolt Jim.

I see no problem drilling it out for a bigger bolt to fit other tracks.
Tape is in front of track [on track]. So you other track would need set back some. Yes, 1/2 or so.
I can do a better measurment if need be.

No that tells me what I need to know. I hoped I could have 1/2" material on the fence side of the T-track. I'll just extend the 1/2" material for the fence face up the edge of the track. Thanks! Jim.

Ok. JUst for good measure, I already took a pic, so can't waste it as we like pics huh :D

15/16" from front of rail to center of bolt track.

View attachment 9142

Now I put the lever knob on this one. It came with a small cheapie 3-wing knob. I like the lever one better :thumb:

Last edited: