The widow lady next door had an old dead tree removed, and I had arranged to have her tree guys save a few pieces of the lower trunk for me.
I was out of town most of last week, but this was waiting for me on the edge of the driveway when I got home. The two red pieces are some of the red eucalyptus I got last fall.
I don't remember what kind of wood she said it is...maybe one of you guys recognize the bark?
It took me and my wimpy back a couple days to do it, but I got the new stuff (plus the two red euc chunks) cut up and sealed this weekend. My little 18" Poulan (the Wild Thing) did a respectable job, although I did stop to sharpen the chain a few times. Here's most of the aftermath, although there are about 4 more big blanks that had already been moved to the back yard when I took this pic:
As it turns out, the sapwood in the mystery wood was starting to crack and the wood was starting to get a bit punky, but it's beautifully spalted throughout.
I was able to get somewhere around 25 blanks out of the pile, including 8 to 10 that are about 15 inches across, the max my lathe can swing.
As a bonus, a few pieces have nice red streaks running through them.
My back's gonna pay the price for the next few days, but I think I'll get a lot of nice stuff out of this haul.