Suburban Wood Haul - Free Delivery, Too

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
The widow lady next door had an old dead tree removed, and I had arranged to have her tree guys save a few pieces of the lower trunk for me.

I was out of town most of last week, but this was waiting for me on the edge of the driveway when I got home. The two red pieces are some of the red eucalyptus I got last fall.

Ellie 3 - 800T - LR.jpg

I don't remember what kind of wood she said it is...maybe one of you guys recognize the bark?

Ellie 4 - 800T - LR.jpg

It took me and my wimpy back a couple days to do it, but I got the new stuff (plus the two red euc chunks) cut up and sealed this weekend. My little 18" Poulan (the Wild Thing) did a respectable job, although I did stop to sharpen the chain a few times. Here's most of the aftermath, although there are about 4 more big blanks that had already been moved to the back yard when I took this pic:

Ellie 1 - 800T - LR.jpg

As it turns out, the sapwood in the mystery wood was starting to crack and the wood was starting to get a bit punky, but it's beautifully spalted throughout.

Ellie 6 - 800T - LR.jpg

I was able to get somewhere around 25 blanks out of the pile, including 8 to 10 that are about 15 inches across, the max my lathe can swing.

Ellie 5 - 800T - LR.jpg

As a bonus, a few pieces have nice red streaks running through them.

Ellie 7 - 800T - LR.jpg

My back's gonna pay the price for the next few days, but I think I'll get a lot of nice stuff out of this haul. ;)

You have a good neighbor. Mine were mad at me for using their trees for bowls:rofl: . That should make for some good bowls.

Suburbun wood

Vaughn
Looks like you got yourself a nice pile of work, pretty wood with the spalting and color. Get some Min-Wax wood hardner to apply to the soft punky areas, it works on these spots.

Jim Sample:wave:

Vaughn,
Can you tell me what type of chain you used on your saw. I went to my local supplier today and he knew nothing about a "rip chain". I have a Stil 026 with a 18"bar. What do they call these chains. All that he could tell me was to bring my saw and chains in and he would make me one. Anyone know where I can just buy one?
Thanks,
Chuck
BTW nice job on blocking those out.

Vaughn,
Can you tell me what type of chain you used on your saw. I went to my local supplier today and he knew nothing about a "rip chain". I have a Stil 026 with a 18"bar. What do they call these chains. All that he could tell me was to bring my saw and chains in and he would make me one. Anyone know where I can just buy one?
Thanks,
Chuck
BTW nice job on blocking those out.
Chuck, I've just got the chain that came from the factory on my saw. I file the teeth at 25 degrees, since that seems to be how the factory did it. Stu Ablett has a lot more knowledge about various chain grinds than I do...hopefully he'll pipe in with some advice for you. I suspect whatever chain you put on it, your Stihl will still outcut my Poulan. :rolleyes: Ah well, by the time it dies, I will have gotten my money's worth from it.

Oh, and as an update...the neighbor tells me it was an alder tree, so thay mystery is solved. I'll be showing some finished pieces from this wood in a few weeks. The pieces I've roughed out so far have some of the coolest spalting I've seen.