3 Phase Motor Questions............

Stuart Ablett

OK, I'm looking for a motor for the Bandsaw, I'm going to end up going with a 3-phase unit mostly due to price, and the fact I have 3-phase, so why not?

Anyhow, I found this one motor, and I was reading the nameplate.............

2_4_pole_motor.jpg

This is a 4 pole motor, right?

Now it has two speeds listed for each Hz level....?

At the 50 Hz 200V 4 pole set up, the rpms of the motor are listed as the typical 1415 range, but it has a 2 pole set up as well, and lists the rpms as 2750........ :eek:

You see, one of the basic problems with my cyclone is that motor that came with the blower spins too slow for the best suction. A faster spinning motor would be great, but I've really had a hard time finding one.

If I get this motor and swap it out with the one on the cyclone, then I'll have that one for the bandsaw :rolleyes: 2.2 Kw ( about 3 Hp :thumb: ).

Would there be any downside to this idea?

Cheers! :wave:

Oh yeah, the price right now is 16,000 yen "BUY NOW" price, or about $133.33 US.

I need to check the size of the motor shafts to make sure the new motor can use the cyclone's impeller.

Cheers!

Hi Stuart. Let me suggest that you go to the Fuji motor website, given there is one. Then look up the wiring diagram for that motor. I am puzzled as to what the 2 pole 4 pole nomenclature means.

Basically a 3-phase circuit will have three wires, and are connected differently depending on whether the motor is wired "star" or "delta". In a delta configuration the three motor windings are connected head-to-tail to form a triangle. Power is applied to the three winding end points. In as star configuration one end of the windings are connected to a common point and radiate outwards from that point, forming a star. Power is applied to the ends of the star. In either case, three wires are required.

I thought Fuji was in the film and camera business:huh:

Hi Ken, thanks for the info.

I found another Fuji Motor with a wiring diagram on it, on auctions........

low_high1.jpg low_high2.jpg low_high3.jpg

Maybe you could have it wired in such a way as to be able to easily switch from one speed to another??

Dunno :dunno:

No expert but sure does look like a two speed motor to me! I have a squirrel cage fan motor that has five different speeds. 5 different leads, each one a different speed. Sounds like that is what this is. But I have not messed with 3 phase much but I assume you can do the same thing with 3 phase motors.

Jeff

Stu,
Most 3ph motors have either 9 or 12 leads w/9 being the most common. The leads are paired depending on your particualar setup. It looks like you have a 9 lead but I can't tell for sure from the pic. You have a 2 speed motor there, with your 50hz power so you're looking at 725/1450rpm respectively.

Have a look here http://www.patchn.com/tutr-mot.htm for some good info on 3ph motors and wiring them.

Mike

Stu,
Most 3ph motors have either 9 or 12 leads w/9 being the most common. The leads are paired depending on your particualar setup. It looks like you have a 9 lead but I can't tell for sure from the pic. You have a 2 speed motor there, with your 50hz power so you're looking at 725/1450rpm respectively.

Have a look here http://www.patchn.com/tutr-mot.htm for some good info on 3ph motors and wiring them.

Mike

Thanks for clearing up the wiring problem. Some multiple of 3 makes sense to me. Never having played with 3-phase motors, I was speaking from the 10,000 foot view.

That just goes to show that my advise is worth what you pay for it.:eek: