Skyping with Stu,

I have used my Sony digital cam as a web cam too. If you have the digital out and the right connector (FireWire) it works great, and the video quality is superb.

Greg/Stu,

Did you guys have to sign up for this, more specifically pay for it? Their web site says its free, but was this considered a "call" or a "Video call"?

Thanks !

Stu,

Nah, I was listening...just thought it was worth sharing. :thumb:

Sean,

Just sign up...it's free. If you use the tel call feature to get cheap calls to someone without Skype, or without a computer, you pay a discounted fee. Internet conferencing between computers with Skype is totally free. Quality is very good, even over thousands of miles of ocean! :eek: :D

Sean, it rocks!

I use it to call the US on the cheap, to real people on real telephones.

You buy "Skype" minutes, I think I bought about $15 worth, I still have about $3.50 worth, I'm finding it hard to use them up, a call to just about any telephone in the world is just under 2 cents a minute, that means I can yak for about 3 hours and 20 minutes for the price of a Cafe latte frappacino mocha locca docca chinny grande at Starbucks :D

But to talk to another Skype user is free, and the video is not bad at all.

Cheers!

Sean,

I was using a couple of small speakers and the mic in the iSight camera for the audio, and the iSight for the video. I have a headset, but it was downstairs when Stu called. Skype also has a "store" page on their web site selling cameras, headsets etc..

I'm not sure about multiple users on a "conference call"... I'll have to read up more (I just signed up a couple of weeks ago).

Sean, it rocks!

I use it to call the US on the cheap, to real people on real telephones.

You buy "Skype" minutes, I think I bought about $15 worth, I still have about $3.50 worth, I'm finding it hard to use them up, a call to just about any telephone in the world is just under 2 cents a minute, that means I can yak for about 3 hours and 20 minutes for the price of a Cafe latte frappacino mocha locca docca chinny grande at Starbucks :D

But to talk to another Skype user is free, and the video is not bad at all.

Cheers!
To add to what Stu has mentioned, Skype also sells a 1-year plan where for about $30 you get unlimited calls to any landline or cell phone number in the US or Canada. I went with that plan as a cheap long distance alternative.

How it works...."For a computer to be infected, a user must first click on a link and then agree to download an executable file. In one sample provided by Boyd, the malicious link is listed below the instant message, "Check this out. Give me your opinion." :doh::doh::doh:

It's a good practice to check before downloading anything... Know who has sent something... If in doubt, ..... :dunno:

Last edited:
i`ve even talked to stu via skype:eek: ......albeit on a phone......i don`t know how to hook up all the gizmos to my `puter:eek: