question for Jeff Horton

John Williams

Jeff, or anyone, I would like to restore my Craftsman drill press. I have started disassembly. My question is, how do you remove the tags without destroying them? They are held on with small "rivets" I guess. Not sure if that is the right name for them or not. Thanks for any help you can give me.
John

John,

Might have to drill the rivets out. Then when you are done with the restore, pop rivet it back on, or put it on with small screws.

just my 2 cents. Maybe Jeff will have a better idea. :huh:

Thanks Sean, I considered trying to drill them out but the head on them is very round, I'm afraid drill will skip right off. I may end just grinding them down very carefully.
John

:D EASY!! Of course I am assuming they are the same as mine and probably are. Clean the dirt off from behind the rivets and see if the hole isn't drilled through. I will bet it is. Is so, then it is a drive screw and just take a small pin punch and tap them out. SAVE THEM! They can be reused.

I suggest getting some zipper bags and putting them and the tags in there.

On some machines there is a blind hole and getting them out with out ruining the tag is a royal pain. You can't hardly drill them out because they are very hard. Probably worked hardened from being forged to shape.

Jeff