Tormek Gimmie

Don Taylor

Former Member (by the member's request)
Well, I haven't had a tool gloat for a while. Not sure this qualifies. I've been saying no to this thing for close to two years and WoodCraft had to send me a Gimmie. So-o-o-o-o.... I bit the bullet.

Free Truing and Dressing Tool with Built in Screw Feed with each TORMEK Sharpening System Purchase. A $64.00 Value!

The TORMEK Sharpening System 2006 This is the finest motorized wet stone grinder that we've ever tested. It is rated for continuous operation and will easily handle all your grinding and sharpening requirements. For a limited time, we are offering a FREE Truing and Dressing Tool with Built in Screw Feed with each TORMEK Sharpening System Purchase.
Purchase any Tormek Kit that contains a Diamond Truing Tool—Receive a $64 Price Reduction.

http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=214&refcode=75IN05NL

DT

Oh Don,
First Festool and now another slippery slope!:eek: :eek:

If you are like me, you'll wind up bringing home half the gadgets that fit on that Tormek:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

By the way, I love mine. I just don't have the patience to dry grind without overheating. I use the Tormek to establish the initial bevel (or renew it if I get some dings) and then sandpaper by hand for honing. Works for me!

I've changed my mind back and forth a few times about the value of the leather honing wheel. Sure makes things shine purdy, but I suspect it also rounds off the edge a bit, too.

The trick of the whole system is that little plastic dingy for setting angles. Its awkward at first, but once you get the hang of it, you can reproduce the original bevel angle and get that sucker sharp in no time at all;)

You are going to really like that thing Don. I had no ability to sharpen anything before I got mine but I can sharpen stuff now. Did they include the DVD titled "Getting to Know Your Tormek"? Mine came from Sharp Tools as I order it when I ordered my Tormek from them and it is very good. Jeff Farris did the video and this is what they had to say: "The DVD is more detailed than the factory video and focuses on specific areas our owners have struggled with in the past". They may had integrated the whole thing as I think that Farris is the USA distributor now.

Don, you will not regret this if you like sharp tools! I spent years and hundreds of dollars on jigs and gimmicks before I finally broke down and took the initial bite and bought the Tormek. Best purchase I've made in years ... razor sharp tools in minutes.

BTW: I also took the Tormek class at Jacksonville Woodcraft -- well worth the time and money in my opinion.

Tony.

You are going to really like that thing Don. I had no ability to sharpen anything before I got mine but I can sharpen stuff now. Did they include the DVD titled "Getting to Know Your Tormek"? Mine came from Sharp Tools as I order it when I ordered my Tormek from them and it is very good. Jeff Farris did the video and this is what they had to say: "The DVD is more detailed than the factory video and focuses on specific areas our owners have struggled with in the past". They may had integrated the whole thing as I think that Farris is the USA distributor now.

I'm not sure which one it is Allen. I can't tell by the ad on the site. I'll wait until it gets here and if it isn't, I'll order it.

Thank you

DT

Don, you will not regret this if you like sharp tools! I spent years and hundreds of dollars on jigs and gimmicks before I finally broke down and took the initial bite and bought the Tormek. Best purchase I've made in years ... razor sharp tools in minutes.

BTW: I also took the Tormek class at Jacksonville Woodcraft -- well worth the time and money in my opinion.

Tony.

I sure wish that class, or any classes for that matter, :rofl: were available here! :(
I'm sure I'll be back asking ton's of questions. :huh:

DT

Last edited: