Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workbench Finish?

Workbench Finish?

I'm taking apart and redoing my old Veritas workbench. It's probably at least 12 years old. Does anyone have recommendations on what type of finsih I should put on the top? Also what about sides, legs, strechers etc. It's solid maple.

Doug

Watco if you need to touch it up later its easy just sand a little or use scotchbrite & wipe the dust away & wipe on the Watco. Remember its a bench not fine furniture. Please be a good boy & make lot of fine furniture on it.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Thanks Bart,
    I've heard of Watco...but isn't there different types, stains etc? I'm not really up on all the current finishing processes. Could you elaborate a little.

Doug

I think Bart's referring to Watco Danish Oil. I know a lot of guys just go with boiled linseed oil (BLO) on their benches. It offers some protection, but is very easy to touch up down the road. If you're looking for something more impervious and tough, something like water-based poly (like Minwax Polycrylic) would work, but future touch-ups will show up a bit more. (But it's a workbench, so that may not be important to you.) I've used Polycrylic on a number of my jigs and sleds around the shop, and so far haven't had a need to fix any worn spots. It's tough stuff.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Danish Oil is what I used. It's held up quite well, easy to apply and allows for pretty easy cleanup.

"Bart is referring to Watco Danish Oil." You just wipe it on & work it in a little & wipe it off & its quick to touch up.

I used Fruitwood Watco on my bench.

Woodnshop URL.

http://www.woodnshop.com/Watco_danish_oil.htm

By the way thats a cute pup. What breed is it?
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 05-30-2007 at 04:54 AM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

doug, i use lacquer........no specific sheen, just what`s in the gun if i remember. my bench gets beaten-n-abused so having a finish that will melt into itself that i use on most projects is the easiest way for me to keep it kinda up........tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

The problem with many of the suggestions is that the veritas bench already comes with a heavy finish. Unless you are prepared to sand off that finish, you need to touch up the bench with something that is compatible. You certainly can't just apply Danish Oil or any other oil over the existing finish.

I think that the existing finish is lacquer, but you should check with Lee Valley.
    Cheers, Frank

Frank I took the whole thing apart and planed it down just enough to clean it up. I just want to get the whole thing sealed.

Doug

Thanks guys I will look into the Watco oil and the Minwax.

Doug