Request for comments and suggestions

Al Navas

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks for looking!

This is an entertainment center I am currently designing; it is still a work-in-progress (a WIP). Still playing around with the following:

1. Crown molding. As you can see, I have used three different styles, to see which one works best.

2. Will use MDF core alder ply for the main box construction, and hard wood knotty alder for the solid wood - doors, etc.

3. The client will use this system primarily to store the TV, and all the audio and video components.

4. The system is designed to go into a corner near a HUGE, double sliding door system.

5. The side cabinets will hold knick knacks on the shelves, and will provide cd/DVD storage in the compartments with the doors.

6. The top cabinet will hold some more audio and video stuff.

I apreciate your comments and suggestions. Thank-you all!

FullEntertainmentcenterconcept-8-sm.jpg

I don't have any suggestions...I really like what you've got drawn. (I prefer the crown molding in the center, although the right-hand side is a close second.) Gotta ask though, what program did you draw it with? Very nicely rendered.

Al

Overall, the design looks great (and I echo Vaughn's comments about the rendering!).

The TV seems "lost" in that big hole. Do you know the size of the monitor? With the new HD stuff, with a wider aspect, I think you could reduce the size of the doors that cover the monitor and make the cabinet above the TV larger?

Jay

Beautiful rendering.

Now, I will be the negative voice. Overall I like it. But something about the shelves on the sides don't balance with the rest of the cabinet to me. I can't put my finger on it, but my eyes are drawn to those instead of the rest of the unit.

Of course what matters is if the client likes it. ;)

Jeff

not a designer but i too think the sides take over the look! the center crown is more impresive than the the standard run of the mill on the sides. the center section in my opinion does need to be larger looking at future tv growth,, but your customer is the boss. if the center was wider than the outside shelves might fade away some form the picture:thumb: and that is an awesome drawing i too would like to know how you did that:huh: :huh:

Beautiful rendering.

Now, I will be the negative voice. Overall I like it. But something about the shelves on the sides don't balance with the rest of the cabinet to me. I can't put my finger on it, but my eyes are drawn to those instead of the rest of the unit.

Of course what matters is if the client likes it. ;)

Jeff
Could it be that the side units seem disproportionately narrow compared to the center section?

Great rendering and I like the overall design.

I think the overall impact is compromised by the apparent smallness of the TV.
If that is definitely the dimensions of the TV to be housed i.e. that is a given then I would try (doubtless you've already done this) altering some dimensions of the cabinet to be more in harmony.
Regards

Well I don't find the sides distracting. I wonder if other people's eyes are drawn to the sides since they appear to be rendered in a darker colour.

I agree that the TV looks a bit lost there. With the new flat panel TV's, we no longer need huge/deep cabinets to hold them. I would experiment with making shallower tv cabinets. I know, of course, that you need some depth for the components. So that complicates things.

(Hmmm, ponders some more...) Yeah I think the sides could be a bit wider, maybe another 20% ? Hmm. I think that all those shelves make the sides look a bit busy. Seems like more shelves than usual.

thanks for letting us kick the tires.
...art

I appreciate all your wonderful comments and suggestions! I designed, "built", and rendered this unit using eCabinet Systems, or eCabinets for short.

Your suggestions are terrific because, sometimes, one hits the wall and must step back and reconsider the design aspects. And, collectively, you have provided me with alternatives to improve on the design. I will incorporate as many of the suggested changes as possible, to see where it takes this unit. Then I might post again.

Thank you all for looking!