Hinged Plywood Storage Rack

Jay Lock

Hi everyone

Well, I need to put something together that will hold 3-4 sheets of 5 x5 ply. It seems that my local supplier has problems with his supplier, I placed an order a week ago for a sheet and it still isn't in! So, even though I don't have space and don't like to tie money up in inventory, looks like I'm going to have to have some stock on hand to avoid project delays.

Does anyone recall seeing plans for a rack that was hinged on one side and opened like a big door from the wall? The only spot in the shop/garage that I can lean stuff has cabinets on the wall so I need to be able to get behind the plywood.

Thanks for the help.

Jay

I recall the unit you speak of. A 2 x 10 for a bottom and back. Fullsheet for the back and a somewhat triangled sheet for the front to allow access. Piano hinged to the wall stud with wheels out front to allow it to swing-away.

Couldn't find the plans but the odds are you would have to adapt to your space anyway so I'd just sketch it out and have at it. I'll keep looking for you though.

Oh, now the questions start!

Glenn

Was there a full sheet on the back or another angled sheet? It seems to me that a full sheet would be kind of usless, since the top back corner away from the hinge would be unsupported.

Jay

Last edited:
As I remember the plans (man, I wish I could find those for you), they used a full sheet on the back. I agree that it seems like it would be more weight and very little benefit. There were stiffener ribs diagonally across the back though if I remember.

The hinge was positioned so that these acted as bumpers when the rig was pushed against the wall. I doesn't sound like you'll be touching a wall but I would use stiffeners just the same. They could maybe be made out of the pieces you cut off to get the angle(?).

I'm jealous. I really wanted to go this way but then found a spot that didn't require the swing and I went vertical. I still think I would have liked the swing feature now and then when something is in my way of pulling out a piece of material. Good luck with your project.

I still think I would have liked the swing feature now and then when something is in my way of pulling out a piece of material.

I agree. Even if you did not have storage behind the unit it would be much easier to get a sheet out of the back if you could swing it out. Sometimes I do not even know what is in the back of the stack.

Can't wait to see what you come up with and how your like it Jay.

Good find Glenn.

Ply rack

No ribs. The 2x6 runs across the back where the hinges are and across the bottom, Butted and screwed together( an L shape ), screwed the plywood to the 2x6, attached a 1x4 to studs w/3" screws, I used some old door hinges, screwed to the 1x4.

IMG_1638.jpg

Last edited:
Cool design Michael. You got front and back out of one sheet and with the angle design; no stiffeners. Very nice.

P.s. Hope you didn't mind me highjacking your pic, I was just trying to help out Jay.