Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Hello

I just wanted to say hi and let you all know who I am, like the others here. I'm a beginning woodworker. Mostly I've been making small boxes from some lumber my dad has given me, along with some I've purchased. I love learning how to do joints and making something versatile and beautiful. So far, I'm doing well on the useful side...not so great on the beauty side (rather like myself, I suppose)!

I have a shop in the basement of our house near Winchester, VA. It's beautiful countryside out here, although we live in a relatively new development. We moved out here from the metropolitan environs of Herndon, VA near Washington. We just prefer the small-town atmosphere and the slower pace.

I have a Table saw, 6" jointer/planer, 12.5" planer, drill press, 14" band saw, and a 16" drum sander. Now that I have the drum sander, I find I use the planer a lot less. I got the drum sander so I could plane the wild grains found in curly maple and highly figured woods. It's certainly a blessing to have all these tools. They aren't the absolute top end tools, but for me they are more than adequate. As long as the cuts are straight, it's up to my skills to perform the tasks...a challenge I enjoy.

I found this website through some mutual friends. It's really great to find a place like this to discuss the issues we face and get advice on procedures and tools. Thank you for putting up and maintaining this site!

-Sandy

Welcome to the clubhouse, Sandy. Sounds like you've already got a good start on the tool collection. Don't hesitate to ask questions or chime in with answers as you see fit.

Enjoy -
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Sandy
    Welcome..............but as the saying goes "It didnt happen without pics" Show off your work.

The coffee pot is on

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!

Welcome to the Family Sandy!!

We would love to see some pics of your shop, if you got the time, we have the bandwidth!!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Masquith View Post

I have a shop in the basement of our house near Winchester, VA.
    Welcome aboard Sandy! I lived in Dayton (near Harrisonburg) for a short time in the early 70's - beautiful country! I've been through Winchester dozens of times, though I bet it's changed a lot in 35 years!
    Glad to have you as part of the family.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Hi Sandy!

Welcome aboard Lets see those Pictures!

DT

Cool

Hi Sandy

Nice to see you here

Have fun
    --------------
    Cheers! - Jim

hi sandy!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Welcome Sandy. As you've notice from the responses of the others; we love pictures. Glad to have you.

Welcome Sandy !
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe