Hello

I just wanted to say hi and let you all know who I am, like the others here. I'm a beginning woodworker. Mostly I've been making small boxes from some lumber my dad has given me, along with some I've purchased. I love learning how to do joints and making something versatile and beautiful. So far, I'm doing well on the useful side...not so great on the beauty side (rather like myself, I suppose)!

I have a shop in the basement of our house near Winchester, VA. It's beautiful countryside out here, although we live in a relatively new development. We moved out here from the metropolitan environs of Herndon, VA near Washington. We just prefer the small-town atmosphere and the slower pace.

I have a Table saw, 6" jointer/planer, 12.5" planer, drill press, 14" band saw, and a 16" drum sander. Now that I have the drum sander, I find I use the planer a lot less. I got the drum sander so I could plane the wild grains found in curly maple and highly figured woods. It's certainly a blessing to have all these tools. They aren't the absolute top end tools, but for me they are more than adequate. As long as the cuts are straight, it's up to my skills to perform the tasks...a challenge I enjoy.

I found this website through some mutual friends. It's really great to find a place like this to discuss the issues we face and get advice on procedures and tools. Thank you for putting up and maintaining this site! :)

-Sandy

Welcome to the clubhouse, Sandy. Sounds like you've already got a good start on the tool collection. Don't hesitate to ask questions or chime in with answers as you see fit.

Enjoy - :wave:

Sandy
Welcome..............but as the saying goes "It didnt happen without pics" Show off your work.

The coffee pot is on

I have a shop in the basement of our house near Winchester, VA.
Welcome aboard Sandy! I lived in Dayton (near Harrisonburg) for a short time in the early 70's - beautiful country! I've been through Winchester dozens of times, though I bet it's changed a lot in 35 years!:eek: :rofl:
Glad to have you as part of the family.

Welcome to the Forum Sandy! Sounds like you are off to a great start. Lets see some pics of those boxes!!:thumb:

I used to live in Clarendon and Rosslyn, VA, made it out to Winchester often. Sure miss the quality and variety of woods available out there. Don't ask what we would have to pay for figured maple out here in the desert!:eek: :eek:

Looking forward to your posts!

Sandy,
welcome to the Family!

I'll wave when the LOML kids and I cruise down to Bridgewater next Friday. My Parents 50th anniversary party is Saturday afternoon!

Sounds like you have a great little shop, post often, we're house trained and newbie friendly!

PS, dunno if you've heard of it yet, but you're about 30 minutes tops from one of THE premiere wood yards on the east coast. Hicksville Planing Mill.

sorry for the absense....

Thanks for all the warm greetings! I've been a bit busy making sawdust. Thought I'd put up some pics while I was at it!

Here's the project and some pics of my shop.

Attachments

• NewBox1.jpg
    NewBox1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 17
  • NewBox3.jpg
    NewBox3.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 15
  • shop2_a.jpg
    shop2_a.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 17
  • shop1_a.jpg
    shop1_a.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 23
welcome sandy and i too like the box you made the mix of woods and the unique legs are specail.. you got more to work with than what had when i got in this, a hammer, handsaw and some chisels. looks like to me your doing just fine.. welcome and theirs a wealth of wisdom here :thumb: :wave:

Hi Sandy,
Nice to have the pleasure of your company.
I guess the Apple blossum festival is gone now and you have time for some woodworking. :D
You take care and work safely, Nice box, what kind of woods?
Nice feet too!
Shaz

Hi Sandy,
Nice to have the pleasure of your company.
I guess the Apple blossum festival is gone now and you have time for some woodworking. :D
You take care and work safely, Nice box, what kind of woods?
Nice feet too!
Shaz

The Apple Blossom festival has come and gone. I missed it this year, but my husband was out there with the local TV station. He said it was a really great parade!

The box itself is black walnut. Top and feet are tiger maple, really weird grain. The walnut is from some my Dad had that got bugs in it. He gave it to me to see if I could do anything with it. I think it came out ok. The real exercise with this box was proportion. I wanted it to be balanced. I tried to keep everything 1:3 or thereabouts. The feet were a tricky little bit...getting them shaped properly and evenly. It's times like this I wish I had a lathe!