Thread: Dig a Ditch!

Dig a Ditch!

Hey all.
    The other day I started restoring my old metal lathe and naturally the first thing I need to do is clean and strip the bugger. Well, after having my (new) garbage can spring a leak while the cast iron legs were soaking, I was at a crossroads. I remembered seeing a tarp lined frame used for soaking parts. Well, I would have to buy wood to make a frame - and those that know me know I'm cheap. So rather than build a frame, I dug a ditch in a pile of excess dirt we had behind the garage. It's lined with a shower curtain from the dollar store (see what I mean).

So far it's worked well - just make sure the soil is soft and doesn't have any sharp objects in it. (DAMHIKT ) I found one advantage is the hole only needs to be as large as the object which helps save on the amount of cleaner needed!

Anyhow, I was pretty happy with the results, and hopefully the idea can help someone else!

FWIW,
    Wes

Yep, the cheap way to go if you have a place to dig a hole!

I do however, love the tip on the shower liner! I have been thinking about what to use. Another good thing that you can get free if you keep an eye out is a damaged pool liner, they can hold up to some rough use and eaisily patchable.

I have a couple hundred pound band saw frame I need to do soon and I have to suspend it in my shop from a chain hoist. I will have to build a frame for this. I also use a mortar tray for a lot of parts, cheap and large.

I love it!!

I didn't have the place to dig a hole so I made a tank on my trailer since the ground wasn't level. I just used concrete blocks, some scrap plywood I had and bought a roll of plastic sheeting.

Jeff
    Who thinks the cheap way is often the best way!
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Hey Wes, I'm impressed!

Of course here in Tokyo, I don't have any ground that is NOT covered with concrete or pavemente

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

The hole in the ground is a great idea. I keep a stock of old shower curtains in the shop. Once we've torn one of the hanger holes, LOML replaces the curtain, so I get a used one every few months. I use them to lay over the table saw when I need to use it as an assembly or finishing table, and I spread them out as dropcloths when I'm doing something potentially messy in the driveway.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Won't win any awards for beauty but whatever works has has a beauty of it's own.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Good job! Goes to show that creativity breeds creativity! I hope every one will post these type of ideas when they come up.

Thanks guys - now I think my wife wants me just to fill in the hole!
    Jeff, I think your set-up was the one I remembered - but for some reason, I was thinking it was all wood. A great use for the trailer - after it hauls the iron home!
    I'm going to let it sit a while longer after I remove the parts. This will allow the gunk to settle out and I can reclaim some of the cleaning agent - oh, because I want to be environmentally friendly (not cheap!?).

Wes

if the gunk is molasses it would be environmentally friendly, would it not? Just think little holes all over the garden just to improve the soil. GUFFAW.