The other day I started restoring my old metal lathe and naturally the first thing I need to do is clean and strip the bugger. Well, after having my (new) garbage can spring a leak while the cast iron legs were soaking, I was at a crossroads. I remembered seeing a tarp lined frame used for soaking parts. Well, I would have to buy wood to make a frame - and those that know me know I'm cheap. So rather than build a frame, I dug a ditch in a pile of excess dirt we had behind the garage. It's lined with a shower curtain from the dollar store (see what I mean).
So far it's worked well - just make sure the soil is soft and doesn't have any sharp objects in it. (DAMHIKT ) I found one advantage is the hole only needs to be as large as the object which helps save on the amount of cleaner needed!
Anyhow, I was pretty happy with the results, and hopefully the idea can help someone else!