Thread: Well I went it did it

Well I went it did it

I broke down and bought the Sorby hollowing tool.(had a 25%off coupon from Rockler on monday and put it to use). Here is my first ever attempt at HF. The opening started at 1 3/4" but after two minutes with the tool I came out the side and the rest is history, The bowl is 6"x 3" high and the opening is 3 1/2" spalted maple. As usual comments welcome. I also have aquestion how do you Hf turners turn your bottom after hollowing?
    Thanks Ken

That's a beauty, Ken.
    How did you like the hollowing tool? Is it easy to use or do you envision a long learning curve?

.....Gord

Your first HF looks a lot better than mine!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Way to go, Ken. You're on your way into a whole other abyss. That's some real pretty wood, too.

To answer your question, I use a donut chuck to turn the tenon off the bottom of my hollow forms. (I usually use a small saw to remove most of the tenon, then turn the rest away as I clean up the foot.) Stu did a good write-up on how he does it in this thread.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Ken that is a beauty. Looks like you are on the way.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great job Ken!

Hello Ken,

Your hollow form looks great! You're on a slippery slope now... I use a custom made holder to support the front of the HF for turning the bottom. The holder mounts in the headstock and has a sliding cone that will accommodate most neck sizes.

The bottom can then be turned easily from the tailstock side, except a tiny tennon which is pared off with a carving gouge. The bottom nub is then sanded and blended into the surrounding surface.

For projects that cannot be turned on the cone holder, I use various other holding methods, depending on the size of the opening and the length of the project. Good luck to you and best wishes in all of your woodturning endeavors!
    Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steve Russell
    Eurowood Werks Studio
    Professional Studio Woodturner

Thanks everyone for the replies. Gord I was suprised I was more afraid of it then neccessary. I have to say by the time I reached the bottom I had it under control.
    Ken