Well I went it did it

I broke down and bought the Sorby hollowing tool.(had a 25%off coupon from Rockler on monday and put it to use). Here is my first ever attempt at HF. The opening started at 1 3/4" but after two minutes with the tool I came out the side and the rest is history, The bowl is 6"x 3" high and the opening is 3 1/2" spalted maple. As usual comments welcome. I also have aquestion how do you Hf turners turn your bottom after hollowing?
Thanks Ken

Attachments

• hf bowl 007 (550 x 413).jpg
    hf bowl 007 (550 x 413).jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 33
  • hf bowl 008 (550 x 413).jpg
    hf bowl 008 (550 x 413).jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 29
Way to go, Ken. :thumb: You're on your way into a whole other abyss. ;) That's some real pretty wood, too.

To answer your question, I use a donut chuck to turn the tenon off the bottom of my hollow forms. (I usually use a small saw to remove most of the tenon, then turn the rest away as I clean up the foot.) Stu did a good write-up on how he does it in this thread.

Great job Ken!

Hello Ken,

Your hollow form looks great! You're on a slippery slope now... :D I use a custom made holder to support the front of the HF for turning the bottom. The holder mounts in the headstock and has a sliding cone that will accommodate most neck sizes.

The bottom can then be turned easily from the tailstock side, except a tiny tennon which is pared off with a carving gouge. The bottom nub is then sanded and blended into the surrounding surface.

For projects that cannot be turned on the cone holder, I use various other holding methods, depending on the size of the opening and the length of the project. Good luck to you and best wishes in all of your woodturning endeavors!