carver almost ready

Frank Fusco

Pictured below is my Terrco dupli-carver almost ready to go on my first (test) gunstock. I'm not real happy with this expensive, low-tech machine. It was very difficult to assemble and setting up something like this is a two-person job. Very unhandy in a one person shop. I found that original and blank must be identical lengths and I will have to devise a system to do that readily on a regular basis. Question for the jury. The Porter-Cable router that comes with this has a max RPM of 27,000 (PC says 27M, Terrco says 30M, go figger :huh: ) and there is a variable speed control. I'll be using 1/2" to 3/4" cutters for the basic shaping on hard maple. What speed do y'all recommend? p.s. the dial doesn't show speeds, it's just a guess thing. Min. RPM is 10,000 according to the book but it sure looks a whole lot slower. Again, go figger. :dunno:

Attachments

• carver.jpg
    carver.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 33
Frank,

Have you seen this "in action" at a dealer, show or anything? Is there a CD with it?

Found these pics. http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showpost.php?p=18845&postcount=5 It looks interesting. PC should have a speed indicator, # to RPM guide in the manual. I will look for mine, but you should have it in yours too.

Have you called Terrco about the 27 vs 30 discrepency? They might have some guidelines for speed too.

I'll be following this, and thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Frank,

Have you seen this "in action" at a dealer, show or anything? Is there a CD with it?

Found these pics. http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showpost.php?p=18845&postcount=5 It looks interesting. PC should have a speed indicator, # to RPM guide in the manual. I will look for mine, but you should have it in yours too.

Have you called Terrco about the 27 vs 30 discrepency? They might have some guidelines for speed too.

I'll be following this, and thanks for posting.

No, I found the product with Internet searches. No CD, only a very poorly written instruction book. The VS only has markings, no numbers. I'm not sure it is a PC item.